Sunday, July 22, 2018

Legendary

Legendary
Stephanie Garber
Related Reviews: Caraval
I loved Caraval back when I read it, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that I went into Legendary expecting to love it. I was feeling a bit iffy about Tella being the narrator because I really didn’t see much potential based on her role in Caraval, but that worry turned out to be totally unfounded as she turned out to be an awesome main character. I was also worried that the new setting wouldn’t be able to capture all the magic of the original, but, again, totally unfounded because I was as in love with this new city as I was with the last.

Legendary immediately ups the stakes from Caraval because there’s so much more weighing on Tella then on Scarlett. Tella has basically made a deal with the devil, a few devils, and needs to either fulfil her end of the bargain or get out of them. And I loved every minute of watching her struggle—which sounds horrible, but, honestly, it was really great tension. Because of all this it was also a lot less predictable and I rarely had time to catch my breath and think about what might be around the corner, which in my opinion, is a good thing. 

A big feature of this book, bigger than it was in Caraval, is the romance. While I really did enjoy Scarlett and Julien in book one, and I still enjoy them to a degree in book two, I absolutely loved the Dante and Tella relationship. At first I was really iffy because I wasn’t sure how I felt about him and the way he treated Tella, but it turned into one of those perfect I hate you-I love you kind of relationships. Unlike in some books I’ve read recently, I also felt like they both grew as people before they actually admitted they had feelings for each other in significant ways. I also kind of liked the relationship between Tella and Jacks, though based on some later events between them, I do feel like the ball was dropped a bit, especially for Jacks as a character over all. Anyway, that didn’t ruin the book for me in the least, and it’s also kind of a spoiler related topic, so I won’t mention more of it.

In Caraval we know it’s a game the entire time but Scarlett is unfamiliar with the game so it feels as alien and tricksy to us, the reader, as it does to her. In Legendary since we’ve gotten a peek behind the curtain and so has Tella the game takes on completely new angles. Not to say it isn’t tricksy like the first one, especially since this is a game unlike any other played before, but it was such an unnerving and cool passage to read when we see familiar characters like Julien take on new roles within the game. I had goosebumps and was in awe of both the writing and scene itself. And the magic of the first book retains through this one, even if it takes different forms. In fact, I would argue that this one is more whimsical than the original, which I didn’t think was a possibility.

The plot is pretty different from book one and in some ways they feel more like companion books instead of a direct sequel. But that’s not a bad thing, and the ending definitely has me rearing for the Finale. I do wish that there was some more groundwork for the mythology introduced in this one in the first book, but that’s more of a technical issue I had with it than an actual complaint. It doesn’t actually feel as if anything’s missing, the story just isn’t as tight as it could have been.

All-in-all, I liked this one a lot. Actually, I loved this one. I will continue to sing this series’ praises from the mountain top. Fun fact: I’ve gotten more people to read this series than any other book series I recommend. I think there’s just something actually magical about Stephanie Garber’s writing that is very good at convincing readers—even picky readers who don’t tend to pick up fantasy novels—to pick up her books. So, yes, if you couldn’t tell already, I strongly recommend giving this series a go.

A heart to protect. A debt to repay. A game to win.
After being swept up in the magical world of Caraval, Donatella Dragna has finally escaped her father and saved her sister Scarlett from a disastrous arranged marriage. The girls should be celebrating, but Tella isn’t yet free. She made a desperate bargain with a mysterious criminal, and what Tella owes him no one has ever been able to deliver: Caraval Master Legend’s true name.
The only chance of uncovering Legend’s identity is to win Caraval, so Tella throws herself into the legendary competition once more—and into the path of the murderous heir to the throne, a doomed love story, and a web of secrets…including her sister's. Caraval has always demanded bravery, cunning, and sacrifice. But now the game is asking for more. If Tella can’t fulfill her bargain and deliver Legend’s name, she’ll lose everything she cares about—maybe even her life. But if she wins, Legend and Caraval will be destroyed forever.
Welcome, welcome to Caraval...the games have only just begun.

1 comment:

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)