Sunday, December 28, 2014

Book Review: The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1)

Edition| Kindle eBook
Genre| YA Fantasy

I would actually be surprised if you hadn't heard of this book.  It's been around for a bit and I've seen it on several author's blogs exclaiming their love for it.  The one that made me particularly want to read it was Sarah J Maas, author of the Throne of Glass series.

The premise is rather basic- Gen is a thief locked away in the king's prison.  He's released by the king's magus (an adviser) under one condition- he needs to steal something.  Thus begins the adventure.

This book is short but has racked up lots of positive reviews.  Many people who have read it fawn over it.  But when I started reading it I had wondered if I picked up the wrong book.  It was good, but it wasn't the best thing I had ever read (especially coming off of The Lumatere Chronicles).  So I double checked the reviews and many of them said that you would have to wait at least a hundred pages before realizing how magnificent it really was.  Normally I wouldn't wait that long for a book, but the story was good and the mythology was stellar (it's a world roughly based of ancient Greece/Rome and the mythology is reminiscent of it as well, in all the best ways) so I didn't mind.

It's worth the wait.  I think it's more than a hundred pages I had to wait, but as soon as it hit, I couldn't put it down.  I was up until one o'clock reading it and when I was finished I couldn't stop saying "I need the next one" and rocking back and forth in withdrawal.

While I haven't picked up the next one yet (I'm trying to conserve the amount of money I spend on books going into the new year) I will be as a special New Years present to myself.  And then, chances are high, I'll pick up book three and book four.

I wish I could tell you more, but it's best going into this book blind.  Really, give it a try.  It's short, it won't take up too much time, and it's a surprisingly amazing YA fantasy.  I give it a solid five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)