Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett

I'm a big fan of both Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (RIP) so the fact that I never got around to picking up one of their greatest works, if not one of the greatest works in all of literature (don't @ me), is a bit sad. I had only high expectations going into this and I was not let down. Where did it start for me: my car, evening, some gushers, and a half hour break from work. Not even a page into the story and laughing so hard the car is shaking. I won't tell you why, I won't ruin the joke. Let me tell you, I did not stop laughing the entire time. It was a wonderful rollercoaster good time, even as the Bad Times were happening. And don't let that make you think there isn't an emotional underpinning that will absolutely gut you. As I turned the last page and ventured into the author notes I did so with wet cheeks and blurry vision. This is a book you should read and should read now.



According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (the world's only completely accurate book of prophecies, written in 1655, before she exploded), the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just before dinner.
So the armies of Good and Evil are amassing, Atlantis is rising, frogs are falling, tempers are flaring. Everything appears to be going according to Divine Plan. Except a somewhat fussy angel and a fast-living demon—both of whom have lived amongst Earth's mortals since The Beginning and have grown rather fond of the lifestyle—are not actually looking forward to the coming Rapture.
And someone seems to have misplaced the Antichrist . . .
Terry Pratchett 
Sir Terry Pratchett sold his first story when he was thirteen, which earned him enough money to buy a second-hand typewriter. His first novel, a humorous fantasy entitled The Carpet People, appeared in 1971 from the publisher Colin Smythe.

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, including his first Discworld novel, The Color of Magic, in 1983. In 1987, he turned to writing full time.

There are over 40 books in the Discworld series, of which four are written for children. The first of these, The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, won the Carnegie Medal.

A non-Discworld book, Good Omens, his 1990 collaboration with Neil Gaiman, has been a longtime bestseller and was reissued in hardcover by William Morrow in early 2006 (it is also available as a mass market paperback - Harper Torch, 2006 - and trade paperback - Harper Paperbacks, 2006).

In 2008, Harper Children's published Terry's standalone non-Discworld YA novel, Nation. Terry published Snuff in October 2011.

Regarded as one of the most significant contemporary English-language satirists, Pratchett has won numerous literary awards, was named an Officer of the British Empire “for services to literature” in 1998, and has received honorary doctorates from the University of Warwick in 1999, the University of Portsmouth in 2001, the University of Bath in 2003, the University of Bristol in 2004, Buckinghamshire New University in 2008, the University of Dublin in 2008, Bradford University in 2009, the University of Winchester in 2009, and The Open University in 2013 for his contribution to Public Service.
In Dec. of 2007, Pratchett disclosed that he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. On 18 Feb, 2009, he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.
He was awarded the World Fantasy Life Achievement Award in 2010.


Sir Terry Pratchett passed away on 12th March 2015.
Neil Gaiman
Neil Gaiman was born in Hampshire, UK, and now lives in the United States near Minneapolis. As a child he discovered his love of books, reading, and stories, devouring the works of C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, James Branch Cabell, Edgar Allan Poe, Michael Moorcock, Ursula K. LeGuin, Gene Wolfe, and G.K. Chesterton. A self-described "feral child who was raised in libraries," Gaiman credits librarians with fostering a life-long love of reading: "I wouldn't be who I am without libraries. I was the sort of kid who devoured books, and my happiest times as a boy were when I persuaded my parents to drop me off in the local library on their way to work, and I spent the day there. I discovered that librarians actually want to help you: they taught me about interlibrary loans."
Book cover linked to Goodreads. Book cover, author info, and description taken from Goodreads or author's website.
I am an affiliate of Book Depository; using my link helps support the blog, particularly the giveaways run here.

6 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm glad you finally got around to it - and loved it! I'm so excited for the upcoming adaptation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the mini series is good! I'll be so crushed if it's not.

      Delete
  2. I love that top photo. I started it in 2016 but after just having giving birth, it was not the book for that time. I'm hoping to get back to it this year or the next. :) I'm glad you loved it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm super proud of it; I've been trying to take more bookish photography. You've just made my day with that comment :) Haha yeah that's probably not the best time for this book. Hopefully when you read it you enjoy it!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I need to finally read this book. I've had it on my shelf for years and I've never been let down by a Neil Gaiman book, so I don't know what my issue is. Your review has my renewing my interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sooo worth it. I hope you pick it up soon! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)