Tuesday, January 13, 2015

5 Star Book Review: The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)

Author| Brandon Sanderson
Edition| Mass Market Paperback
Genre| Fantasy
Rating| 5 Stars

I went into this book knowing little of the story but hearing everyone rave about how amazing it was, so I had super high expectations (that were met).  I wasn't expecting anything, least of all having my heart ripped out in the last two hundred pages.  So of course, I'm reading the next one.  Very soon, might I add.

This is my third Brandon Sanderson book (I've read Steelheart and The Rithmatist) but it is the first one to truly cause me to endlessly spend time on his website and stalk it for any hints of what's to come because I plan on reading all of it.  Certainly Mr. Sanderson is one of my favorite people now, and I've already begun telling people that they better get their hands on one of his books.  Immediately.

There are two things making this review very difficult: 1) I think it's best you don't really go in knowing much about the story, and 2) I gave it five stars for a reason- there isn't anything (or nothing I can think of, at least) wrong with it.

For a quick synopsis: A common trope in fantasy stories is one where a hero is destined to save the world from some nameless evil.  In this world, the hero failed.  Now, thousands of years later, the world is dictated by the Lord Ruler and ruined by the mists and the ash.  Enter Kelsier and Vin, our protagonists.  That's it.  That's all I'm telling you about it.  Go pick it up.

For a fantasy novel, this one reads pretty similar to YA.  Vin is only sixteen (seventeen later on in the book) and a fantastic main character.  Kelsier is equally great and completely different.  In fact, all the characters are different.  The variety is refreshing.  The plot, too, is somewhat unique.  If you've read any of the interviews Brandon Sanderson has done lately, he's mentioned that Steelheart and Mistborn share a lot in common, plot-wise.  I agree.  But don't think because you've had the pleasure of reading Steelheart you'll be able to pick this one apart.  You won't.  I tried and I couldn't.

How I wish I could say more.  There's so much I could say!  But it would all boil down to the same thing: I loved it, it was great!

Have you got the message?  Now go give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)