Thursday, January 28, 2016

Dec-Jan Manga Roundup

Welcome to a new feature here on the blog.  Since I noticed how much manga I was reading, and how  they were becoming increasingly hard to review, I thought I would change how I did these reviews.  You'll either be seeing them monthly or bi-monthly, depending on how much I read, and they will consist of several short reviews for the books I finish in that time.  I will be reviewing these books as I read them, so they will be more of reactions than proper reviews.

Noragami Volumes 7 & 8
written by Adachitoka
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
As always, this series continues to entertain.  I will say, these two volumes aren't the most serious that I've read.  Seven is a fall-out, I guess you would say, to the events of the previous few volumes.  It has a bit more comic relief, since the first two chapters have a certain god possessing a certain school girl.  Volume eight is a set-up to something serious right around the corner.  And, for the first time, we're really taken into Yato's head and we get to see why he is the way he is.  Slowly, I believe, his history will be peeled away for us, and I am unbelievable excited.  Also, Ebisu, not as much of an ass-hole as I once assumed he would be.  Actually kind of decent, just really boring and lucky.

Blue Exorcist Volumes 1 & 2
written by Kazue Kato
Rating: 3.5 & 5 Stars
Like with Noragami, when I first started reading it, I had already seen the anime and fallen in love.  So the first volume just couldn't live up to how amazing the show was.  Also, like with Noragami, by the time I got to volume two, I had found my groove and fallen in love with it again.  This series lives up to the show, so far, and has me giddy to read it.  Nothing new from these volumes, since I already knew what happened, but I loved reliving them at a different pace.  It seems to go quicker in the manga, so I'll soon be surpassing where the show left it, something I'm very excited for.

Noragami Volume 9
written by Adachitoka
Rating: 5 Stars
This one was just absolute heartbreak.  Does that surprise anyone?  Mostly, the heartbreak comes from Ebisu, who is a beautiful character and I didn't see it sooner but if I ever reread this series I will not take advantage of him like I once did.  The story is really Yato heavy, which is a shift since it's normally narrated more by Hiyori, and while I didn't dislike Yato telling the story, it was a jarring shift for sure.  A few surprises in this one, though nothing mind-blowing, just a sort of "something big is coming" feeling.

Noragami: Stray Stories
written by Adachitoka
Rating: 5 Stars
Okay, so the stories aren't super important to anything, since they're little bonus', but they're a bunch of fun and I haven't actually laughed this hard in ages.  It was particularly pleasing since I was reading it when I was feeling down on life.  If you read Noragami you will want to pick this one up, I promise.

QQ Sweeper Vol. 1
written by Kyousuke Motomi
Rating: 3.5 Stars
I picked this one up on a whim and found that I rather enjoyed it!  The pacing was strange- really, really quick when I wanted development- and the characterizations were a little off.  Honestly, I think it was just a case of lost in translation most of the time, which is a shame.  The general idea of the series is really cute, even though I absolutely hate cleaning and could never do their job.

Pandora Hearts Vol. 1
written by Jun Mochiuki
Rating: 5 Stars
Guy, guys, guys, GUYS, GUYS, GUUUUUUYYYYYSSSSS!!!!  This book was so good!!!!
Okay, so that was me spazzing out because, indeed, this manga is fantastic.  I love the art, I love the story, and I love the characters.  I'm fairly certain this series will end up breaking my heart at some point soon, but I'm ready for it.  Bring on the pain!  (But also, please don't kill everyone like I'm afraid, please...)

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read much manga or watched much anime recently, but Pandora Hearts does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pandora Hearts is definitely a must read. I don't think I'll be getting to volume two as soon as I would like, but it's a series that doesn't feel like most manga I've read feels like- it's almost more Western, if that makes sense.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)