Friday, June 30, 2017

Spoiler Discussion: Lord of Shadows

SHADOWHUNTERS #13
THE DARK ARTIFICES #2
AUTHOR: CASSANDRA CLARE
RATING: 5 STARS
LADY MIDNIGHT (SPOILERS)
LORD OF SHADOWS
This is going to be full of spoilers so heads up. Don't read if you don't want to know how this book ends (trust me you don't want to be spoiled on this). If you want to see my non-spoiler review you can find it here. You've been warned.

I'm going to start at the ending: Livvy dies. There, I said it. I mean, I'm still coming to terms with it, but I can at least say it now. This was the most surprising death in any of the Shadowhunter books yet (even topping Max's) and I was shook to the core when I read it. I'm never going to be happy it happened because Livvy grew on me so much in this book, but I am pleased that the stakes have been raised for this world and these characters. I've always thought things played a little safe, especially with Lady Midnight having the ending it did, but now things are able to take a darker turn, which is exciting. Another death I can't seem to get over is Robert. I didn't like the man until recently (a few chapters before his death, actually) but Alec kneeling over him asking for his dad to be okay broke me completely. And Robert held a lot of hope for Emma and Jules so with his death a lot of hope died in the process.

That the series is headed into a darker place pleases me, because it is mimicking a lot of real world problems. The cohort were especially dark and aggravating; their rhetoric and beliefs got me so angry inside, and I felt the same way I feel around real life bigots and racists where I want to sit down and talk to them about why they're wrong but know they won't listen. As much as I had frustration with these characters I liked that they existed in this world where these tensions have been lying under the surface for a while now and can finally be addressed head on.

On a lighter note, one thing that really drove this book was the romantic relationships. Julian and Emma were such a tortured pair but I have found a place for them in my heart alongside Clace and Wessa/Jessa now. Truly, though, it was the Kit and Ty relationship that kept me going through the pages. Watching them slowly become attracted to each other was not just adorable but heart warming because even though they haven't exactly become official yet it's such a natural attraction that it can't be anything but love. Similarly, I have a feeling that we may actually find a polyamorous couple with Cristina, Kieran, and Mark. Nothing's canon but the way the three of them interacted was adorable and I really just want them to all be happy together because I think that's what they'd all want. Most unexpected relationship award goes to Diana and Gwyn! It came out of nowhere but it was so charming and innocent and I hope that they get a happy ending of some sort.

Speaking of Diana, I'm so happy she's a trans character. And I'm so happy she's a proud trans character! I wasn't completely surprised because I had guessed that was the secret she was keeping, but her big reveal was so heart warming. Diana has been a favorite character of mine since this series started and seeing her grow and trust others with her secret is beautiful and she's beautiful and she deserves anything and everything she wants. My fingers are crossed that she gets to lead the LA Institute and the Clave deal with their asshole nature.

This may be one of my favorite Shadowhunter books yet, if I'm being honest. What were your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)