Saturday, March 28, 2015

TV Review: Smallville (Season 3, Episodes 1-4)

Watch| Netflix DVDs
Starring| Tom Welling (Clark Kent); Allison Mack (Chloe Sullivan); Kristin Kreuk (Lana Lang); Michael Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor); John Glover (Lionel Luthor); Annette O'Toole (Martha Kent); John Schneider (Jonathan Kent); Sam Jones III (Pete Ross)
Rating| A

I love this show.  I'm not really sure what it is in particular, but I absolutely love it.  Unfortunately, I can't watch it very often because it's only available to me via the Netflix DVD service.  It is the main reason I still pay for that part of the subscription honestly.

So, in a few words, because I don't want to spoil you or bore you, let me convince you to watch it.  It's perfect for fans of Arrow or Flash and I would consider it the forefather of both those shows.  It proved how successful a comic book show could be, especially aimed at this audience.  It is the longest running Superman show, I'm fairly certain, and I believe this is the case because it sticks to Clark Kent.  It revolves around him discovering who he is before he becomes Superman.  The experiences and people that shape him, particularly his family and closest friends, Lex and Lana.

Upon reading the description of episode 3X01 I thought I had reached the point where the show jumped the shark.  I've heard that there comes a point where it gets a little crazy, but I'm glad to say this isn't that point.  I expect that to come after Clark's high school years, honestly.  The show has certainly gotten deeper into the mythology of where Superman comes from and what he was sent to do.  These episodes also reignited the story for Chloe (finally!), gave Lana the girl-next-door role again (yes!), and has worked to shift Lex's role completely, and, I think, steer him towards his destiny.

I am getting tired of the repetitive stories of people with strange powers.  I want the show to break away from that because sooner or later they will wear it out completely.  Also, Lionel is really getting on my nerves.  Of all the characters, he's the one I can stand the least.  This is purposeful, I'm fairly certain, but still grates on my nerves.  Overall, I'm very glad to be returning to Smallville.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)