Sunday, December 20, 2015

Sunday Comics

Welcome to another edition of Sunday Comics!  Just a reminder: I'll be doing these on a monthly basis now, and not biweekly.  The change comes because I've just been reading fewer comics lately because of time constraints.

Invincible Iron Man (2015- ) Issue #2
Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Artist: David Marquez
Rating: 4 Stars
I've said before that I'm not usually an iron man fan, but I tried this newest series on a whim, and found it to be actually very good.  I like the direction, and while I'm still not sure what the plot is exactly, I feel like it's moving in  positive direction.  Tony working with Doom is certainly not where I thought it would go, but I embrace it.

Secret Wars Issues #2, #3
Writer: Jonathan Hickman
Artist: Esad Ribic
Rating: 4.5 Stars
A very compelling story that I'm glad I'm finally getting to.  Issue #2 was the most interesting so far, and I can't wait to explore this new universe and see where everyone has ended up.  Issue #3, while I had high expectations, failed to deliver since it was mostly just a "reintroduction" of characters plus some background information.  Really eager for things to start happening again.

Captain America: Sam Wilson (2015- ) Issue #2
Writer: Nick Spencer
Artist: Daniel Acuna
Rating: 4.75 Stars
Like with Iron Man, I've never really been a fan of Captain America comics.  I have tried some in the past, but none really clicked with me.  With Sam at the head, though, I absolutely love them!  I think (and this is hard to say since I love Steve in the movies) Sam is probably my favorite version of Captain America.  It's hard to explain why, but issue two pretty much cements it for me.

All-New X-Men (2012-2015) Issue #10
Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Artist: Stuart Immonen
Rating: 4 Stars
I'm glad to finally return to this series after taking a break for a bit.  I love these characters, and I like the direction it's all headed.  I do still feel a bit like I was thrown into a story I don't completely understand, so I wish there was more backstory given for certain characters, but that also entices me to go back and read earlier series'.

New Avengers (2015- ) Issue #2
Writer: Al Ewing
Artist: Gerardo Sandoval
Rating: 4.5 Stars
The best part of this issue was highlighting each characters strength and showing why they're a good team in the first place.  I was feeling a bit like they were thrown together randomly, so I'm glad to see it all working out for the better at this point.

Spider-Man 2099 (2015- ) Issue #2
Writer: Peter David
Artist: Will Sliney
Rating: 3 Stars
While issue one ended on a fantastic and unexpected plot twist, issue two just couldn't do it for me.  The story struggled to keep me entertained and I just wasn't interested in the hero or the villain.  Someday I'll probably return to this story, but not right now.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely want to try the Sam Wilson Captain America comics. I'm not really familiar with the comics for the character at all, but I really like the Marvel movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not super familiar with Captain America comics, but I picked the first issue of the Sam Wilson one on a whim and thought it was fantastic! Definitely worth it, and you don't really need to know anything about the character's going in because it's all explained within the first two issues.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)