Thursday, December 3, 2015

Graphic Novel Review: L.A. Woman (Hawkeye, Vol. 3)

Author| Matt Fraction  Artists| Annie Wu and Javier Pulido  Rating| 4 Stars
Edition| Paperback
Related Reviews| Little Hits | Hawkeye v Deadpool

It's been a while since I've read or reviewed a Hawkeye comic, which is a shame, since both Kate and Clint are two of my favorite comic book characters.  Their stories are always entertaining, and this one was no exception.

It picks up where volume two left off, with Kate deciding to leave and taking the dog with her.  The whole volume focuses solely on her, which was something I was slightly nervous about.  I wasn't sure if she could hold her own story, which would be a side story from the plot the first two volumes had created, and whether or not it would be as interesting without Clint's banter.

It was!  I do think there could have been more time spent developing several aspects of this side story, and I hope Kate ends up visiting the West Coast again because it led to a lot of interesting characters and interactions that I would be sad to say goodbye to permanently, but overall it was a really solid story.

I don't want to give too much away, since it is the third volume in this series.  But suffice it to say, you won't be let down by this addition.

The one thing I really had a big problem with was the art.  As you may know, I adore the art that is employed in the first two volumes.  But the same artists didn't quite come back for this one.  Annie Wu did a gorgeous job, and thankfully her art was what was shown throughout most of the story.  Javier Pulido, though, just didn't hit the mark with me.  I think I would have put the graphic novel down if his was the only art in it.  Which is such a shame since it was doing as best it could to mimic the original style.  I'll give him points for trying, but for me it fell flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)