Sunday, May 24, 2015

5 Star Graphic Novel Review: Little Hits (Hawkeye, Vol. 2)

Author| Matt Fraction
Artist(s)| David Aja, Francesco Francavilla, Steve Liever, and Jesse Hamm
Edition| Paperback
Publisher| Marvel
Genre| Superhero Comic
Rating| 5 Stars

Man, I love Hawkeye.  The character of Clint Barton is so different in the movies and the comics.  But I love both versions.  And, of course, it's hard to hate Kate Bishop, too.  Since they both hold the mantle of Hawkeye, I'll refer to them by secret identity from this point forward.

Matt Fraction and David Aja deserve all the awards.  The stories read more like peeks into Clint's life than a full-fledged epic journey.  This type of story-telling allows for unconventional stories, such as the whole issue told from a dog's point of view.  You could still understand the story, even though the language was at a minimum.  And the art is beyond amazing.  It's all simple, clean lines and I can't get enough of it.  If David Aja could just do the art for everything everywhere that would be great, thanks.

The over-all story arc continues in this one, and the plot thickens as a new villain is introduced.  I'm not sure how I feel about him, yet.  Readers are also given a close-up and personal look at Clint's romantic life, and it's one part heartbreaking, the other part humorous.  Kate's story is kept at a minimum in this volume, though I'm fairly certain volume three is dedicated to her solely.  The ending of Little Hits, in which she plays an integral role, is bittersweet and wants you ready for more.

When I recommend people a place to start with comics, I always go with these.  They aren't very confusing, nor do they throw obscure characters into the mix.  Plus, cameo's from Wolverine, Spider-Man, and Iron Man don't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)