Thursday, May 28, 2015

TV Talk: ABC and CBS New Shows

Since the pilot's got one over on me this year (that's a shame) I thought I'd switch from doing Pilot Talks to TV Talks.  You'll see these more regularly and I'll weigh in on both new shows and old ones returning.  So, without further ado, let's talk about two of the biggest channels out there- ABC and CBS!

*These are pretty full of my opinions, so please don't take it personal.

The Catch
So, another Shonda Rhimes show.  I guess I don't really have a problem with that, but I'm not a fan of her other work.  She's very talented, having brought Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, and How to Get Away with Murder to the top the of the charts, and filling them with multi-ethnic, beautiful actors and actresses.  They just aren't my cup of tea.

After watching the trailer it does intrigue me a little.  Maybe something to catch on Netflix eventually.  The idea of con artists conning investigators who will then try to con (?) the con artist is pretty cool.  It looks intense and has a spy-thriller feel.

This one will be airing during mid-season.  I definitely recommend the trailer.

Dr. Ken
I'm cringing a little.  I like comedy's, though I don't strike out and try to watch them all.  This one looks pretty much like a dud.  The trailer wasn't even funny.  It does have some heart warming moments, but that's about it.  It will certainly find it's own little audience, though, thanks to the lead.

Dr. Ken will be airing at 7:30 c on Fridays.

The Family
Spooky.  The general premise is that a kid goes missing ten years ago, presumed dead.  His "murderer" is put away, his family is upheaved.  And then he returns.  But the circumstances surrounding his return are shady at best.  That all sounds really cool.  It's the rest of the drama that falls flat for me.

The mother is running for office.  The father is having an affair.  The brother is a drunk.  It all just seems piled on top of what could be an interesting concept all on its own.

This show is airing during the mid-season as well.

The Muppets
I'm in the minority when I say I don't like the muppets- I know that.  But I actually think I may like this show.  Watch the trailer- it's not what you think.

They're very clearly saying this is for adults- it's not a kid's show.  It's not going to totally ruin what you thought of these guys, but it seems like the natural evolution for fans of a certain age.  People who grew up with the muppets are going to enjoy this almost Office-like spin on the characters.

This will be airing on Tuesdays at 7 c.

Of King's and Prophets
I'm always a bit... afraid when biblical shows make it to main stream TV.  I'm Catholic (and a History buff), and while I can stomach some things, I dislike seeing stories from the Bible treated poorly.  It just doesn't sit well if it's ever in blatant disregard of what the Bible actually says.  But this show actually looks pretty spot on and has me excited.  Certainly it's dramatized, but it seems respectful enough, it's not going in some weird direction.  And it looks historically accurate from what I've seen, so another bonus.  I'll probably end up watching this live.

Of King's and Prophets will air on Sundays (so clearly the channel has high hopes) at 9 c.

Oil
Interesting, though not my cup of tea.  The leads are pretty easy on the eyes, and the premise is simple enough- out to make millions by finding oil.  It'll likely either attract a lot of attention, or none at all.  We'll have to wait to find out.

This one is also on Sundays, preceding Of King's and Prophets at 8 c.

Quantico
Not normally something that would catch my attention, that's for sure.  But it promises a cast of characters that will knock your socks off.  I love it when there's a huge host of characters to love and hate, especially if they're all given complex histories and motives.  I think I'll give this one a try for sure.

This will be on Tuesdays at 9 c.

The Real O'Neils
With all the cookie-cutter family comedies out there right now, this one actually looks like it's going to deal with real issues.  Not that other's don't, but they don't seem to do it as obviously, I suppose.  It has character's that each have their own issues, which are different.  And often, not ones you see on screen at the exact same time.  And with a plot that seems like it's better fit for a drama than a comedy, this one looks like it could be a winner.

The Real O'Neils will airing during the mid-season.

Uncle Buck
This looks better as a movie than a show, but I guess I'll wait and see.  The whole trailer appears to be on a major sugar rush, but not, perhaps, in a bad way.

This show airs during the mid-season.

Wicked City
Won't be watching this one, it's a bit too much for my tastes.  I think it will please many people, though I don't see how well the premise will sustain over more than one episode.

This, too, will be joining ABC's mid-season lineup.

And now onto CBS!

Supergirl
Yes I'm very excited for this one.  At first, it was just a sort of interest.  Like, I'll totally watch Supergirl because it's Supergirl.  But the trailer really has me convinced it's going to be fun.  Every second of the trailer is eye-catching and exhilarating.  I'm in love with the cast and think it will do fairly well.  I think it may be on track to becoming my new favorite superhero show.

This one will be airing Mondays at 7 c

Angel from Hell
So, I was excited for this when it was announced, but now... not so much.  It looks like it may have it's moments, but the trailer never really made me laugh.  The characters look dry and the plot is overused.  Won't be catching this one, unfortunately.

Angel from Hell will be airing Thursdays at 8:30 c.

Code Black
In general I don't watch hospital shows.  I stuck with Grey's for about a season and a half, and Scrubs didn't make it much longer than that.  Even if they're good shows, they don't keep my interest.  So, no, I don't think I'll watch Code Black.  But, boy, does it look good.  I went in not expecting much from the trailer, but it swept me off my feet.  The characters just jump out at you!  The story itself is pretty general, but it promises major payoff.  I'm going to go ahead and recommend you watch this if you like medical shows.

This one will air on Wednesday at 9 c.

Life in Pieces
No interest.  It looks like it could have some good characters, but I think that all the funny parts have been shown off in the trailer.  It actually seems a but like a knock-off Modern Family, if I really think about it.  The way the trailer is set up, too, doesn't help too much.  It comes across as four commercials pushed together.

Life in Pieces will be airing at 7:30 c on Mondays.

Limitless
My initial reaction: Bradley Cooper looks like a hobo.  But it's Bradley Cooper, so he actually looks pretty good as a hobo.  I never caught the movie, but the show does appear to be a direct sequel to it.  Maybe I'll finally get around to watching it now!  Honestly, I'll probably watch this one, or at least give it a chance.  If it doesn't take off pretty early, though, I feel it won't last.

Thanks for sticking around!  What shows are you looking forward to next season?  Leave a comment and let me know.  Or, if you think I left a show out, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)