Sunday, May 17, 2015

Sunday Comics

Welcome back to my bi-weekly comic review post.  In case you missed the first post last week, every other week or so I'll be doing Sunday Comics.  I've been reading a lot of comics lately (read: emptying my wallet on comics lately) and rather than have several very tiny reviews, I'll be able to put them all at once.

I've continued to read only digital comics, but I've been scoping out my local comic shops, too.  Since I'll be leaving in September for college, I may just wait until then to get a pull list at the local comic store.  Which, thankfully, there is one where I'm going to school.

These last two weeks I read ten comics.  I had a pretty good time with them all, but it certainly depletes my store of cash and takes a toll on my book buying.  I think I'll be going into a book buying ban when the summer rolls around, or maybe a semi-ban.  More on that when it actually happens.

Without further ado:

Teen Titans (Issue #0.5) (2003-2011) written by Geoff Johns with art by Ivan Reis, Marc Campos, and Sno Cone.
Rating: 3.5 Stars
It was good, but confusing.  I know it was more promotional than part of the story, but from where it's meant to take place, it should be called issue 0.5.  I liked the preview of the character's, though.









Captain America (Issue #1) (2012-) written by Rick Remender with art by John Romita Jr., Klaus Janson, and Dean White
Rating: 2 Stars
There wasn't very much I liked about this one at all.  It was confusing, the art wasn't particularly great, and while I like the character, he's not my favorite.  The relationship between Cap and Agent 13, though, that deserves at least two stars.  They're great together.

Civil War (Issue #1) written by Mark Miller with art by Steve McNiven
Rating: 4.5 Stars
I cannot wait for this movie!  Because of all the buzz related to it, I've wanted to jump on this story.  Plus, it rocked the Marvel Universe forever.  Just one issue has me so excited.  It wasn't what I thought it would be, it's better.  It's super thought provoking and, by pulling together all the corners of the universe, promises to make every fan have feels.  A definite read for everyone who's a Marvel fan.






Arrow (Issue #1 Special Edition) (2012-2013) written by Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim with art by Omar Francia and Rex Lokus
Rating: 3 Stars
I'm a big fan of the show so I thought I'd give this digital only (I think; I'm pretty sure) series a spin.  I liked it, but it was nothing special.  I'll be reading more of it thanks to the finale having just happened.  I need something to fill up Wednesdays, after all.

Teen Titans (Issue #1) (2003-2011) written by Geoff Johns with art by Mike McKone, Marlo Alquiza, and Jeromy Cox
Rating: 5 Stars
This is what I call an amazing read.  Can I just say that I love Wonder Girl?  This is the second group of teen titans, and they're clearly still nervous about getting together after what happened last time.  It provides great tension without having to force anything.  The characters don't require much introduction, and they all have a pertinent reason to be a part of the group.  The story was just picking up and left me with a cliffhanger at the end.  I was breathless and in love the whole time.  Another comic I very much recommend you read ASAP, especially if you're newer.  It explains everything pretty well.




Batgirl (Issue #2) (20)0-2006) written by Scott Peterson and Kelley Puckett with art by Damion Scott, Robert Campanella, and Jason Wright
Rating: 3 Stars
Well, that's a better rating than last week.  The story is less confusing, though it's not perfect.  What really bothers me most about this series is the art.  I really can't stand it at all.  Too cartoon-y maybe?  Really frustrating.  And all the characters look really similar, it's bizarre.  I'm going to finish the story arc (which is only six issues) before I decided whether I want to continue reading Batgirl or not.






Black Widow (Issue #1) (2014-) written by Nathan Edmondson with art by Phil Noto
Rating: 5 Stars
The art does everything for me.  My favorite art I've ever seen in a comic to this date.  I've lovingly returned to it's pages just to take in the colors and the lines and the everything.  It's beautiful.  And the story?  Totally does the character justice.  I won't be buying these digital any more (this copy was actually free) because I want it all bound up and pretty.  Expect to see me read more of this series sooner rather than later.

She-Hulk (Issue #8) (2005-2009) written by Dan Slott with art by Paul Smith
Rating: 3.75 Stars
I feel split about this one.  The character was different, though nothing special, and it added well to the Civil War story, but it also could be left out.  I'd say only pick it up if you're a She-Hulk fan, which I'm not much of.









Future's End (Issue #0 FCBD Special Edition) written by Brian Azzarello, Keith Giffen, Dan Jurgens, and Jeff Lemire with art by Keith Giffen and Patrick Zircher
Rating: 3 Stars
This is the second time I'm reading this issue.  It's less disturbing than the first time, and actually more entertaining.  Mostly, I picked this up because I love, love, love Batman Beyond.  It features his character prominently and I love to see Terry in action.

Avengers: The Children's Crusade (Issue #1) written by Alan Heinberg with art by Jim Cheung
Rating: 5 Stars
So I haven't hauled this one yet, but you will see it sooner rather than later.
One of my most dreaded questions is, "Who's your favorite superhero?"   I can always cop out and say Hawkeye, or Speedy (though she's technically a sidekick), but as much as I love them, I wouldn't really say they were my favorite.  I need look no further- my favorite hero is Wiccan.  I can't say exactly why because I don't know exactly why, but he is undeniably my favorite.  I shall protect him like the precious character he is.
The story itself is really cool, too.  I'm a bit drunk on this story line, to be honest.  I really, really recommend reading this.


PS. Sorry about lacking some photo's.  I had a pic of each comic I read, but they're on my pinterest, and that wasn't working for some reason (dang internet).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)