Monday, November 2, 2015

Graphic Novel Review: Hawkeye vs Deadpool

Author| Gerry Duggan  Artist| Matteo Lolli and Jacopo Camagni  Rating| 4 Stars
Edition| Paperback

This was a really fun read.  It lacked seriousness, but that's not too surprising seeing who was headlining the title.  If you're a fan of either Hawkeye or Deadpool, you'll enjoy this one.


Hawkeye vs Deadpool is a short, five issue comic run that follows both Hawkeyes and Deadpool as they hunt for a flash drive full of SHIELD identities.  In their way- Typhoid Mary, Black Cat, and a bunch of brainwashed asylum patients.

It's a light read with lots of fun quips and jokes that is sure to entertain.  Both Hawkeye and Deadpool have a similar sense of humor in that they're always the comic relief of stories.  I liked that they chose to pair them up.  I loved that Kate was there as well, since I love her, but I do think she was written rather poorly.  She was treated, by the writer, as a much more "girly" version of her character.  Don't get me wrong, she's not not "girly" but they just painted her in a strange light, I thought.  It got on my nerves a bit since from other books you don't get this from her.

Also annoying- the art seemed to keep changing.  It was really slight but it got on my nerves nonetheless.  I did enjoy the art overall, though.  The cover is one of my absolute favorite pieces in the whole book, honestly.

I think most people will enjoy this one.  I myself am a huge Hawkeye fan (less of a Deadpool fan) and I thought it was a good story.  I do think it focuses a bit more on Hawkeye than Deadpool, especially with the way the story starts and ends.  Anyway, if you want to add it to your goodreads shelf click here.

2 comments:

  1. Nice review :) Certainly one to keep an eye out for for Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)