Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Anime Review: The Devil is a Part-Timer

Watch| Netflix  Rating| 2.5 Stars
Buy Links| Amazon

Well, this is a show I've had my eye on for some time, and since I've been going through a bit of an anime phase, it was time to give it a shot.  Plus, it had been popping up as recommended after Noragami (my very favorite anime and manga), so all signs pointed to it being really good.


And, for the first story arc it was really good!  I couldn't stop watching.  Then, the arc ended and I was at a loss for words.  Most of the season still remained and I couldn't imagine what they would do next, how it would get better.  Guess they couldn't imagine it either.

The premise behind the show is really, really cool.  Basically, there's another world, where demons and humans have been fighting for a long time, and the devil himself, Satan, is the ruler.  One day the humans rise up, led by the Hero, and end up defeating Satan, causing him and his right hand to leave their world... and end up in ours.  Here, Satan changes his name, rents a house, and gets a job working part-time at a fast-food restaurant, which is something he actually excels at.  Until the Hero shows up, still intent on hunting him down, but finding he may be harmless after all.

Like I said, cool premise.  And it comes across really well.  There was a point where it looked like they might dive into the mythology of the other world and start showing what was happening there, what the politics were like, and how that affected our characters.  To an extent, that's what happened. But it wasn't really a deep look, used just long enough to create a new character that didn't add to the show in the least.

I recommend watching the first story arc, because it's fantastic (you'll be able to tell when it's over) but after that, just stop.  The show doesn't even wrap-up in any way, just kinda patters until it dies.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this one before, but it sounds like I'll have to watch it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)