Monday, December 11, 2017

Mini Reviews: Love Her Wild & The Slow Regard of Silent Things

Love Her Wild is a poetry collection I picked up at Target (did you know they had such a large selection of poetry? because I was pleasantly surprised). I've been wanting to read more of the genre and this one wasn't something I recognized but it still sounded good.

Being my first foray into poetry I didn't have very much in the way of expectations. Based on the title I guessed it would be about falling in love/being in love and getting lost/exploring the world. I was pretty close to the mark. But... I honestly can't say I liked it very much or that it was particularly memorable. It was just very bland. And paired with the stock photos every other page, which only barely seemed to connect with the poems themselves, I felt like I had wasted the money.

There were a few poems in there that really struck me and I'm hoping that this is one of those books I can just turn to every once in a while for random feelings. Otherwise I wouldn't really recommend this one.



I'm not quiet when it comes to my love for The Kingkiller Chronicles so I'm actually a tad disappointed it took me this long to get to The Slow Regard of Silent Things. This one is a tangental story that rather than tell more about Kvothe gives readers a peek into a week of Auri's life.

This book was such a treat! I loved seeing how Auri navigated her world and understanding how she thought was so powerful. It's definitely a powerful book, though it's not for everyone. It's quietly powerful but it will connect with so many people.

Not that it didn't connect with me but I think I read it at the wrong time. I read it at a very busy point in my life where I couldn't actually reflect on what was being said. Looking back I wonder why it didn't affect me more because it's also been a very hard time of my life. If you're a fan of the Kingkiller books I one hundred percent recommend this. And even if you're not, I think you may still find something very poignant about it.

2 comments:

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)