Sunday, May 3, 2015

Sunday Comics

This is something I'll be doing every other week or so.  Since I've recently started to read more and more comics in the individual issue format, this makes it easiest to review them.  Rather than have a short post for each issue, I'll be able to put them all together in one post.  Some will have more reviews than others.

This week I dabbled a little bit with digital comics.  I got some free for promotional reasons (thanks Fandango VIP program) and found that it's a pretty great medium.  It's a cheap and fast way to get old comics that may not be easy to find in print.  They're free apps and free accounts, so if you're new to comics check them out.

I read one of the promotional comics this week, to help gear up for Age of Ultron, and also pulled up an old DC comic I've had my eye on for some time.

Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch (Avengers Origins, Issue #1) written by Sean McKeever with art by Mirco Pierfederici

This read like a compilation of pieces from other stories, but I think they've all been reworked.  They give a good introduction to the characters and help moviegoers get to know them.  I wasn't overly familiar with them, and this got me back in touch.  I feel like I connected with them both and have plans to move forward with stories that feature them prominently.  If you're casual to the MCU, then this is still an issue for you.  Especially if you're preparing for AOU.


Batgirl (Issue #1) written by Scott Peterson and Kelley Puckett with art by Damion Scott, Robert Campanella, and Jason Wright
Rating: 2 Stars

This is the first issue dedicated to the Cassandra Cain Batgirl.  I had my eye on her character for some time, thinking she sounded like a pretty bad ass character.  Picking it up, the first thing to turn me off was the art.  I don't often hate on art, but this stuff is really cartoon-y and I couldn't get over it.  Besides that, it doesn't help the story, which was confusing.  I think it was a frame story, but I'm not sure.  Upon a second re-read it may become revealing, but I don't know if I'm up for that.  I will be continuing this series for a few more issue to see if the story improves enough for me to get past the art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)