Sunday, May 31, 2015

Sunday Comics

Sunday Comics is something I do every other week.  I've been reading so many single issue comics lately, that I want to be able to review them.  However, the reviews would be short, so I find it easier to do this cumulative post.  Below are all the comics I've read for the last two weeks.  If you have any recommendations, please feel free to comment!


Children's Crusade (Issues, #2-5) written by Allan Heinberg with art by Jim Cheung
Rating: 5 Stars
This series just keeps getting better and better.  I love all the characters and the story itself is top-notch.  My favorite comics so far this year.  The only issue to really deviate and make me less happy is the fourth, at which point I had over-exhausted myself for the day.




Teen Titans (Issue, #2) (2003-2011) written by Geoff Johns with art by Mike McKone, Marlo Alquiza, and Jeromy Cox.
Rating: 5 Stars
Great character development, though the story was a bit lacking.  It makes up for it with the fantastic art.  Geoff Johns really can't do any wrong, if you ask me (and many others, I'm sure).






Birds of Prey (Issue, #1) (1999-2009) written by Chuck Dixon with art by Greg Land, Drew Geraci, and Gloria Vasquez
Rating: 4 Stars
My first thought upon starting this issue was how dated it felt.  Not bad, but also not the kind of art or story you would find in modern comics.  I didn't feel particularly close to the character's based on this alone, but I have high hopes since I know I already enjoy these heroes.





Superior Iron Man (Issue, #1) (2014- ) written by Tom Taylor with art by Yildiray Cinar
Rating: 3 Stars
The art was nice but the story is a really poor place to start with this character.  It was just a lot of "eh, no" feeling I got from it.  Read it for Pepper, maybe, but not for Tony.




Bravest Warriors: Tales from the Holo John
Rating: 4 Stars
A fun break from the tedium of life, but nothing extra special.  It does expand nicely on the idea of the Holo John, which I felt was underused in the Youtube Series.

Thor: God of Thunder (Issue, #1) written by Jason Aaron with art by Esad Ribic
Rating: 4.5 Stars
I did not expect to enjoy this as much as I did.  It's got three aspects; a very past, present, future thing going on.  And I'm interested in all of them!  It'll probably be something I invest more time into eventually, though not right away.




Hulk (Issue #1) (2014-) written by Mark Waid with art by Mark Bagley
Rating: 3 Stars
I'm not a huge Hulk fan.  I can enjoy the character, but stories that center around him just aren't my cup of tea.  Plus, there's a lot that goes on with brains in this one, including a head that's half cut open the whole time.  That sort of stuff leaves me extremely queasy.  I don't expect to continue this series in the least, even though the story did promise good things.




Batman Beyond Preview (2015-) written by Dan Jurgens with art by Bernard Chang
Rating: 5 Stars
I love Batman Beyond, it's one of my favorite story lines.  This series looks as though it's a bit spoilery though, since it directly follows the Future's End story.  I do like where it looks like it's going, and I love the main character.  That's all I'll say about that.




Gotham Academy Preview (2014-) written by Becky Cloonan and Brenden Fletcher with art by Mingjue Helen Chen
Rating: 2 Stars
A cute idea and too cute of a follow through.  It's aimed at a younger audience, which I was expecting.  Younger than I expected though.  It struck me as a Disney channel show.  Plus, the continuous rhyme throughout the preview and the lack of getting to know any characters really bothered me.  I plan to pick up at least one issue of this eventually, but that won't be soon.



Silk (Issue #1) (2015-) written by Robbie Thompson with art by Stacey Lee
Rating: 4 Stars
The art is absolutely gorgeous during the action and costumed scenes.  It wasn't great when Cindy "dressed down".  The story was pretty good at setting up her own comic series, though I feel it could have had a little more meat to it.  I will absolutely be continuing this one, ASAP.





New Avengers: The Reunion (Dark Reign) (Issue #1) written by Jim McCann with art by Alvaro Lopez and David Lopez
Rating: 4 Stars
It follows two of my favorite characters, but completely throws you into the story, leaving a lot to question.  I had to do a little research to make sure I knew what was going on in the wider Marvel world at the time.  The art is pretty decent, though nowhere near half as gorgeous as the cover.  I recommend this one, though, particularly if you want to see some Mokcingbird/Ronin (read: Hawkeye) action.


Martian Manhunter Preview (2015-) written by Rob Williams with art by Eddy Barrows, Gabe Eltaeb, and Eber Ferreira
Rating: 3 Stars
Another character I'm not a super huge fan of.  But this makes me think I could grow to love him.  I'm looking forward to continuing this series, though at my own pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)