Friday, July 24, 2015

5 Star Book Review: The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1)

Author| Rick Riordan (Facebook/Twitter)  Edition| Hardcover  Rating| 5 Stars

I have finally, finally read this series!  Yes, it's been a long time coming, but I'm glad I waited.  It's definitely a big change from Percy Jackson, but I think it's a good change and I think Riordan has managed to craft a book that can launch a whole new series very well.


Where to start, hmm?  The Lost Hero, while set in the same world as Percy Jackson, is distinctly different.  Not only are the character's older, but the writing itself felt like it was meant for an older crowd.  Not that the other series' talk down to readers, but the amount of romance and the type of action has changed.

The Lost Hero does a good job of creating new characters set against a backdrop of old characters.  Appearances from Annabeth, for example, don't feel like they're taking up the whole stage.  Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the old characters, they're some of my favorites!, but this novel, at least, is clearly centered around newcomers Jason, Piper, and Leo.  I don't know if I could pick a favorite from these guys.  They're all favorite's in my book.  Although Coach Hedge was the only one to consistently make me laugh out loud.  Whenever he was in a scene I was laughing and getting tears in my eye (from the laughing).  Really nice change.

The plot was just as fun as I would expect from Riordan.  It always kept me on my toes and was a fast-paced thrill ride.  I love seeing how Jason, Piper, and Leo all have to learn about their new powers in order to take down the villains.  Riordan, as always, does a fantastic job of weaving ancient Greek myths into a contemporary setting- I've not seen anyone do as great a job as he does.

I could go on about this book for a long time, I really really really loved it.  It didn't take long for the fangirl-ness to come out.  It also manages to leave open a lot of questions- such as where is Percy? and what is this other place where Jason comes from like?  I'm eager to continue on with the series, and, spoiler alert: I already have.

If you want to add this book to goodreads, click here.  You really should read this series, even if you aren't familiar with Percy Jackson.  It's not necessary in order to enjoy, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)