Friday, July 31, 2015

5 Star Book Review: Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus, #2)

Author| Rick Riordan (Facebook/Twitter)  Edition| Hardcover  Rating| 5 Stars
Related Reviews| The Lost Hero

There are slight SPOILERS for the first book in this series, though nothing that will ruin the experience.  Read at your own risk.
Percy Jackson returns in this book, which was such a relief.  I love the character, and having him around again was like reliving part of my child hood.  The other two characters, Frank and Hazel, were both interesting, though not as interesting as the other new characters from previous books.  Son of Neptune is another quest story, with the protagonists leaving New Rome (the other camp where Percy has been relocated, with no memory of Camp Half-Blood) to try and find an old relic that will help save the day.

The only problem I really had with this one was the repetitive nature of the story.  It wasn't bad, just that the previous book felt the same as this one.  A basic formula that goes into each book.  I brought this up with my friend, who read them as they released.  She agreed that was the case, but, her words, "when you read them a year apart, they didn't feel repetitive".  She's probably right.  So binge-reading them may not have been my best bet.  Still, the book was a good read.

The plot kept me guessing and the characters kept me turning pages.  The writing, as always, was wonderful.  If you haven't started this series because you miss Percy, don't worry.  I feel like you could even skip the first book and start here (though I don't exactly recommend doing that).  If you want to add this book to goodreads, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)