Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Movie Review: Inside Out

Starring| Amy Poehler (Joy), Phyllis Smith (Sadness), Richard Kind (Bing Bong), Bill Hader (Fear), Lewis Black (Anger), Mindy Kaling (Disgust), Kaitlyn Dias (Riley), Diane Lane (Mom), Kyle MacLachlan (Dad)
Rating| A-

Pixar, you strike again!  Bringing a family friendly and tissue worthy movie to our screens.
I went to see this one with a good friend of mine, and we're both pretty big Pixar buffs (even though we didn't catch this one until it's final weeks...).  The consensus, when it was over, was that it was pretty amazing.

Inside Out follows the emotions inside Riley's head, as you may have gathered from the commercials and trailers.  Which do a pretty good job of letting you know what the movie is about without giving away any spoilers.  So rather than try to explain here, I'll share a trailer with you.

Having just taken a psychology class last year I felt really well versed in a lot of the concepts happening on screen.  Pixar does a great job of using real things that happen inside your brain and turning them to characters or physical events.  I don't want to say anything specific because one little spoiler goes a long way, but it left me feeling like they had done a good job fact checking, which is always important.

The casting was phenomenal in this movie.  Every voice matched up perfectly; so much so that with many of them I'll never be able to truly distinguish the difference.  So many awards to whoever was in charge of that.  The characters were all great in their own ways, but the two that really stole the show were Sadness and Bing Bong.  Those two will go down as some of my favorite Disney characters ever.

When this comes to DVD I'll definitely be buying it.  It's worth having at home alongside my copies of The Incredible, Finding Nemo, Wall-E, and Up.  That being said, when I walked out of the theater I didn't want to go see the movie again immediately.  It's a thinking movie, and a crying movie, but it's not one that I could enjoy endlessly.  I think after a certain number of watches it will begin to lose it's luster.  While I can't say that's the case for certain, that's the reason I didn't give this one a full A or A+ review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)