Thursday, October 8, 2015

Discussion: Get to Know Me

So, I've started doing discussion posts every Thursday or so.  Most of the time they'll be book-related, but not today!  I've been blogging for almost a year, and I thought I'd just open up a little about myself.


First of all, I use a pen name when I blog.  My first name really is Sam (short for Samantha) but my last name isn't actually Frost.  My real last name can actually be found on goodreads (which I've been using much longer than I've been blogging and so didn't include a pen name on the account) and it's Mrozek.  Which is Polish and actually translates, more or less, to Frost.  Hence, why I chose this pen name.  I use a pen name for two reasons- one, I write books and if I ever publish one the pen name is what I want them published under, and, two, I'm not always super comfortable giving my real name.  I'm not so worried now, but especially when I started I wasn't sure what the community would be like.  Anyway, I don't really prefer one name to the other, but I thought I'd just share this fact with everyone.

As I mentioned earlier, I write books.  Although, to be true, the only one I've ever finished was one I co-wrote with a friend.  And we wrote it by hand over the course of a two and a half years.  And it was absolute shit, but we really enjoyed the process!  I'm actually in the middle of a novel now, and if you're ever curious about my writing adventures, click the link at the top of the page that says Tsundoku Words because that's a little writing Tumblr I keep.

I love scheduling!  You have no idea.  I probably drive my roommate a little insane with the amount of time I spend staring at my day planner (which I absolutely love- side note: I spent quite a bit of money to personalize it, but it was worth every penny).  I also keep a calendar on my computer, though it's not as used since I only look at this one every couple days and not every day.  In my planner I keep everything from when to publish posts to when to go to class to what show I need to watch each night to stay caught up on everything.

I have misophonia which sounds like a horrible disease.  I'll give you a minute to look it up.  Have you?  Liars, I know you didn't.  Okay, so misophonia is pretty much when you hate the sound of people chewing.  Kinda.  That's what most people consider it to be, but it's a little different.  Basically, the sound of people chewing (or swallowing, or breathing, or things I call "little noises"- hearing only part of a tv set or part of music in the background) works as a trigger.  Like other triggers out there, it causes a strong mood swing, which is why for a while it was misdiagnosed as bipolar for so long.  So, for example, I could hear someone chewing, and suddenly I'll want to rip their head off.  If I can't get out of the room, or at least distance myself in some way (like soundproof headphones or listening to a white noise machine really loudly) my reaction will continue to get worse.  The trigger sometimes works in the opposite way as well, where instead of getting angry I get really sad and depression sets in.  So, yeah, that's a thing.  By the way, it's not always a problem- if I'm in a crowded lunch room where there's a lot of noise (and I'm eating myself) I won't normally be bothered by someone else chewing.

So, yeah, that's a little bit about me.  Maybe that's too much info, but I thought it was time to share a bit after almost a year.  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)