Thursday, October 1, 2015

Discussion: In Defense of Historical Romance

So I really like the idea of discussion posts and I'm a rather opinionated person, so I naturally have a lot I want to say.  Each week, for a month or so, I have discussion posts planned.  I don't know if I'll end up doing more than that or not, but I'm very pleased to welcome you to my first ever discussion post right now!


So, this summer I read a lot of Historical Romance novels.  I think I've reviewed one or two of them on here.  I really like them, for a number of reasons, but I feel like they sort of hold a stigma attached to them that prevents people from picking them up or talking about them.  And I get why, I totally do, but I think a lot of people forget that there's more to these novels than smut.

One thing I love about Historical Romance is the power the women have.  The books I've been reading in the genre often focus on the strong-willed, rule-breaking, kick-ass women.  Is it accurate?  I don't know, I haven't really studied that time period, but I really enjoy it regardless.

I also love the time period they're set in.  The gowns, the setting, the everything, reminds me of fantasy books.  Or at least, some of them.  I know it's only a shallow relationship between the two, but I enjoy it regardless.

Are there any genres you read that some people really hate?  How do you feel about historical romance novels?  Have you ever tried one?  Let me know in the comments section below!

1 comment:

  1. hmm... I haven't read any historical romance. I'm honestly just not a fan of historical in general. I think my most controversial genre is probably dystopian. I still love it after years and years of reading about fascist governments and rebellions.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)