Saturday, April 18, 2015

Book Review: Wild Born (Spirit Animals, #1)

Author| Brandon Mull
Edition| Kindle eBook
Genre| MG Fantasy
Publisher| Scholastic
Rating| 4 Stars
I'm glad I finally got around to reading this one.  I've had my eye on the series for a while, since I love most of the writers that contribute.  I don't read a bunch of Middle Grade, so I'm very selective with my choices.  This was, in a few words, a very good choice.

It was pretty standard, but it left a mark and was enjoyable.  There weren't exactly tropes, but it also didn't feel like it stood out of the pack.  I liked it mostly due to the world building and concept which, while I didn't think they reached their full potential, were interesting.

The characters, too, were very likable.  I loved all the main characters and have a hard time picking a favorite.  Again, they didn't reach their full potential, and I'm hoping for more growth in following books.

While there is a plot, most of this story focuses on setting up the rest of the series.  I have no problem with that!  Often, books like this can become tedious, but it managed to be quick and right to the point with where it wanted to go.  The climax was a little lackluster, but I'm writing that off to my own inflated opinion.  Often I feel I've read so many fantasy novels that I'm not as easily wowed.

I recommend this to younger readers looking to get into fantasy.  I think it caters to a wide range and introduces a diverse cast and big ideas.  It's also a quick, fun read, with major A-list writers attached.  Really, a win-win situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)