Monday, May 30, 2016

5 Star Reread Review: The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)


Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Edition: Hardcover
Rating: 5 Stars

I read this book however many years ago, not long after it had come out.  The first time through, I really, really enjoyed it, and I read the second one as soon as it came out.  But something happened around book three and I didn't pick it up until recently.  Well, I decided to reread the first two and read the last two as quickly as I could, and I am so glad I made this decision!  It was so much better than I remember it being!

The Raven Boys is about four boys and a girl.  The girl- Blue- is the daughter of a psychic and lives in a home full of psychics, but is not psychic herself.  She was told that she would kill her true love with a kiss.  The four boys are the titular Raven Boys- Gansey, Adam, Ronan, and Noah.  They're on a quest to discover a sleeping king who was moved from Wales to Virginia- Glendower.  When Blue's path crosses with that of her Raven Boys, their quest really and truly begins and they discover that magic is indeed real.

The best part of the book is the writing.  It's mind-blowing amazing!  Have you ever read a classic book?  Something they teach in school where the writing melts off the page and dances through your soul?  That's how these books are written.  If one day I'm ever able to write half as well as Miss Stiefvater I'll be a damned good writer.  I mean, I can't convince you how well this is written with my own words!  If you want to just sit back and enjoy her craft, pick this up because someday, I believe this will be taught in classes around the country.

The other best part of this book is the characters.  I mean, I don't think I could tell you who my favorite is because they're all my favorite!  I love them all for different reasons and they're all unique and separate characters.  I don't think I've ever read another version of these characters in all the books I've read, either.  I'm not a super visual reader (details are hard for me to picture) but I can just about picture these characters, even when I'm not reading.  And it's so wonderful.  Rarely do characters leak into my dreams as awesome as these ones do!

Now that the series is over it's a perfect opportunity for you to pick this book up and binge them all (I mean, that's what I'm doing)!


4 comments:

  1. I love, love, love Stiefvater's writing. I ended up rereading the first three books before diving into The Raven King and I appreciate her writing so much more as a result. I hadn't realized how many clues she left along the way, which makes this series great rereading material. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I've decided to binge read them! Especially if there are clues along the way (I love when series' are planned that way). I do remember seeing her say she meant for this to be a series that ends and you can start it again, so I'm glad to hear you agree.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I love this series so much! I'm putting off the finale - I'm scared that something bad will happen to my favorites! :) I need to get to it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel! Hopefully I can read through these quickly, but not too quickly.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)