Saturday, April 11, 2015

3 DNF Reviews

I hate DNFing books.  It's so sad to think that someone put effort into a piece and I couldn't even be bothered to finish it.  Unfortunately, some books just don't work out, and I'd like to explain why these three made that list.

For the record: when I DNF a book, it just means I couldn't finish it.  That may be because I didn't like it.  That doesn't mean someone else won't.  I don't want to discourage you from reading these, necessarily, especially if they sound interesting to you.  That's one thing I love about reading- one man's trash is another man's treasure.

The Mechanics Song (Winterworld, #1)
Author| Chuck Dixon
Edition| eGalley through Netgalley
Publisher| Diamond Book Distributors
Fans of Winterworld only know Scully's story from after he met Wynn. 
But what was life like for the traveling trader before he rescued a young girl and found a new reason to survive in the endless wastes of a frozen planet? 
Presented in stark prose by creator Chuck Dixon (author of the acclaimed Bad Times series) we learn for the first time of Scully's past from childhood to manhood in the brutal and unforgiving world where every day presents another challenge from death.
Filled with the kind of breakneck pacing, savage action, and high stakes that have made the comic series a world renowned classic, Winterworld Book 1: The Mechanic's Song will thrill you, horrify you, and touch your soul. Find out how the saga begins!
 Maybe I should have been tipped off by the "fans of winterworld" bit at the beginning of the description.  But the cover looked so cool and I wanted to know what it was about.  I couldn't get very far before I realized it was not what I thought, nor something I could just jump into.  I didn't give it much of a chance before giving it up, so I can't say if it got better or whether I really enjoyed the writing, or much of anything really.  I'm sure it will find a home and love with the fans.

P.S. I'm still not sure what winterworld is... maybe I should google it.

The Scarlet Letter
Author| Nathaniel Hawthorne
Edition| eGalley courtesy of Netgalley
Publisher| Diamond Book Distributors

I originally read The Scarlet Letter in school and absolutely hated it.  I couldn't get past the driveling writing and thought it went on for too long.  The climax was boring and the characters two dimensional.  I wanted to give the manga/graphic novel edition a try, both to see whether the story was something I needed to reread to enjoy and to see if this would help clear the air.  It didn't.  I enjoyed bits and pieces, but overall, I felt it just as dreary as the first time.  I put it down as soon as I picked it up.  So sad to say that.  For fans of the classic, though, this may be right up your alley!




The Adventures of Basil and Moebius 
Author| Larry Hama
Edition| eGalley courtesy of Netgalley
Publisher| Diamond Book Distributors
Alaric Moebius and Basil Fox are two lovable scoundrels looking to make a quick fortune. 
Basil is a former SAS trooper turned Queen’s Guard by day and thief by night. Moebius is an Oxford-educated charmer with a knack for getting into trouble. Together they chase adventure under the patronage of “The Collector,” a mysterious billionaire with a taste for rare and valuable supernatural objects of the occult. 
This first volume contains the first three adventures in their career together, introducing the unlikely duo for the first time in a highstakes chain of pulpy high adventures! 
Written by the legendary Larry Hama (G.I.Joe, Wolverine) with creator Ryan Schifrin, these wild adventures have the thrills of Indiana Jones, the wit and banter of the best buddy-cop pairings, and the globe-hopping wonder of James Bond. 
An exciting thrill ride from cover to cover!
There was so much I wanted to like about this book.  The premise is everything I could want.  Actually, writing-wise, I had no problem with it.  But there was just something about the art!  I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I just couldn't get into the story.  I depend a lot on the art when I read a graphic novel/comic or when I watch an anime.  If it doesn't live up to what I want, I always end up putting it aside.  So sorry to do that to this one, but sometimes it just has to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)