Monday, April 20, 2015

Pilot Season #1

Do you smell that?  That fresh scent, when everything is coming back to life after a long winter?  That's right, it's Pilot Season!

In case you didn't know, I spend a little too much time watching TV.  For my credit, I want to work in the field some day.  Every year the amount of shows I try to keep up on grows.  It's too early for channels to have picked what they'll be showing next season, but it's the ripe time for them to be looking at pilots!

A pilot is the episode used to sell a network on a show.  Normally, the people who want to make the show approach a network and if the network's interested enough, they buy the pilot.  If they like the pilot and they like the direction the show plans to take, they'll buy a couple more episodes.  If it does well with the fans, they'll buy the whole season and then some.

So I want to share with you guys some of the pilot's I'm hoping to see become television series.  There isn't much info on many of these, since pilots haven't really begun filming, yet.  There are also a ton of pilots I have my eye on- too many to talk about in one day.  So you'll see four or five of these posts in the coming month or so.  I hope you enjoy!

Untitled Judah Miller Project @ ABC
This one's about a Broadway star and her husband when they're pushed into the world of youth sports thanks to their gifted son.  It's a comedy and sounds like it could be entertaining- but also like it may be a little over the top.  Besides, we all know what happened to ABC's last Broadway show (rip Smash).  Really, I'm excited to see Megan Hilty on air again, alongside Efren Ramirez (Pedro, from Napoleon Dynamite).

Untitled NBA Project @ ABC
Another comedy, which is weird because I'm more of a drama person.  This one's about a new player who requires a translator to speak English, with one problem- the translator knows nothing about basketball.  It could be cute, and if they play their cards right, I think I see a 'ship' in the making.  Plus, Skylar Astin's in it (you know, Jesse from Pitch Perfect)...

Angel From Hell @ CBS
Anyone else watch Psych when it was on (and a decent show)?  If you did, you may recall the episode where Jane Lynch guest stars as Maggie Lawson's sister.  It was the perfect match and I could only dream of them pairing up again for something permanent.  Well, that dream may just become a reality with this comedy.  In it, the two return.  One, as a guardian angel, the other as the woman she's meant to be guarding.

Limitless @ CBS
I never saw the movie it's based off of, but if this works out, I probably will.  The concept always sounded cool, I just never got around to it.  Supposedly it picks up not long after the movie left off, and while Bradley Copper may not be in the show, he's an EP.

Rush Hour @ CBS
Another one based off another movie I never saw.  It looks like it could straddle the line between comedy and drama, seeing as there are people attached from 21 Jump Street, Dexter, and Backstrom.  It could go either way, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

That's it for today, but trust me, there are plenty more I'm looking forward to.  Any of these catch your eye?  I'd love to know what you think, and thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)