Monday, November 9, 2015

College Journey #6: Calendars and Schedules

Welcome to another installment of my college journey blog posts!  I'm coming to the end of my first term here, so things have been rather stressful.  Luckily, I go home in a week, so I get to spend plenty of time with my bookshelves.  If you ever have a specific question you'd like to ask about either college in general or my specific college (Knox College) please feel free to ask in the comments!  I make these posts to help ease the fear of people who are going to be starting college, whether at mine, in the near future.


My past posts about college have been these:

This post is a bit more specific to my school than some of the others have been, but I think it's some interesting tidbits.

Let me start with calendars.  The way Knox works is through a trimester program.  That means, where some (most) schools have two semesters a year, Knox has three.  There's a Fall term, a Winter term, and a Spring term.  Each lasts ten weeks exactly and we only take three classes a term.  Which is really strange and probably sounds like we get off with a lot, have more free time than other schools, and just generally take easier classes.  Let me assure you- we don't.  In fact, hearing my other friends talk about their own classes, I'm pretty sure all three I took this term are harder or just as hard as theirs.

Because we're on the trimester system we have a, wait for it, six week winter vacation.  And I'm so very excited.  I get to be home for six whole weeks and I'm going to love every moment of it.  Spring break is only a week, but then our summer break is three months, or so, long, which is also something to look forward to.

As I mentioned earlier, we only have three classes a semester.  And I've already gotten my schedule.

I'll be taking an English class called Ways of Reading (which is exactly what it sounds like), a religious studies class, East Asian Philosophy (again, exactly what it sounds like), and continuing Latin.

I'll have three classes a day on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and only one class a day on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so things will be a bit different from this term, where I only have two classes a day.  My first class will still be at 10:40 each day, though, so I'm looking forward to it.

So, yeah, that's a bit about how my school works.  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)