Thursday, June 30, 2016

5 Star Reread Review: The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)


Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Edition: Hardcover
Related Reviews: The Raven Boys

Rating: 5 Stars
I read this book a few years ago when it originally came out and I was not impressed by it at all.  That would have been my sophomore year of high school I think, and having reread it and appreciated it now I realize that I've matured as a reader.  I don't think I've had such a good marker as this to show how I've changed as a reader and how I've gotten to be a better reader.

The Dream Thieves picks up not long after The Raven Boys ends.  Without giving any plot away, I will say this book focuses on Ronan.  Blue and Gansey are still very important, but it's not so much they're story as the first one was.  While very little happens, it's an important character study of all the players and it had me feeling all the feelz.

Being more of a character study, the focus shift is something that messed me up when I originally read it.  Going into it and knowing there wouldn't be as much action really helped.  This second time I was able to give the characters the focus they deserved and I really appreciated the character growth and the relationship growth between everyone.  It broke my heart in a million ways because of how beautiful the relationships are.

Of course, Steifvater's writing is as beautiful as always, no surprise there.  And in a different way than in the first book, but not in a lesser way.  If anything, her writing helps me fall in love with the characters more than anything else.

This is an incredibly hard review to write, and there's little more I can say without spoiling anything, so I'll leave it here.  I loved it to Mars and back and look forward to picking up Blue Lily, Lily Blue.


SaveSaveSaveSave

2 comments:

  1. Excellent review! I liked Ronan much more this time around in comparison to the first book! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)