Monday, August 7, 2017

Music Monday: A New Trend?

Music Monday is a meme hosted by my friend Lauren from Always Me and the rules are simple: share a few songs you've been enjoying lately (they don't have to be a specific genre or follow any theme) and they can be new or old songs. If possible share a music video or lyric video. And, of course, link up with Lauren.

Goodness I wanted to be able to write and post this sooner but life is getting in the way. Okay, so this week I didn't really know what to call this combination of songs, because there's definitely something similar between them but it isn't easy to sum up. Basically, it's artists who's past hits have been more on the hyper end of pop and dance music, and they're also artists who have, in the past, been deemed by the media as "inappropriate" in some regard. It would seem that they are turning over new leaves, and whether that's for the better is up to the listener, but I will say I love all of these songs and I'm rather excited to see these artists heading in this direction (as it's the type of music I enjoy more than their more traditional fare).

My parents were the first ones to turn me onto Million Reasons from Lady Gaga's most recent album (though I believe it was released last year around this time).
At first I wasn't too sure about it. It wasn't that I didn't like, it was just such a deep song and I hadn't been given the opportunity to really enjoy it's depth. After I got hooked on it I downloaded her whole album and fell in love. It's such a beautiful piece of work and while I don't love every song on there the same I would strongly recommend listening to the whole thing, at least once, in order, because the story is gorgeous.

The Lady Gaga song that really swept me away is her newest single, The Cure.
It may be because I first heard it right as I was wrapping up reading ACOWAR, but I associate this song with Rhys' and Feyre's relationship so much. Listening to the lyrics I can play out a whole music video featuring the two of them and it always brings a tear to my eye. Beyond that, it's a fantastic song and something I'll treasure in my music library for a long time.

While I've always been a sort of passive fan of Lady Gaga's, I was never quite so sure with Miley Cyrus and her music, even back in her Hannah Montana days. But my goodness I love Malibu so much!
This is a song that fit perfectly into a story I have been writing in my head for a while now and cinched a climatic point in a romantic relationship. When it hit me that this song and that scene went hand in hand I was through the roof.

Finally is a song I haven't heard on the radio but I've been playing on near repeat at my house: Praying by Kesha.
GO SUPPORT KESHA. Like, seriously! This is the first time she's been able to make music in a while, let alone personal music like this. If you're not a fan of her older stuff I do recommend giving this a listen because it's nothing like what she's done before. As it is her new album is shaping up to be something amazing and I can't wait. I think the first time I heard this song I started crying because of how powerful it is and I'm willing to bet you'll be moved as well.

What would you call this trend? And are there more artists seeming to go over to it? 

3 comments:

  1. This is the first Kesha song that I can say I've truly liked - very powerful!

    Thanks for linking up, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her whole album looks like it's shaping up that way and I'm completely in love with it.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)