Thursday, July 23, 2015

DNF Review: The Storyspinner (The Keepers' Chronicles, #1)

Author| Becky Wallace  Edition| Library Hardcover  Rating| 0/DNF

It's really a shame, because I was so hoping I would enjoy this book.  I remember all the advance praise and early positive reviews it got.  Luckily, I only checked it out of the library and didn't actually buy it.
So, I didn't get very far into it, which makes me feel bad.  After about fifty pages, though, I just couldn't read anymore.  For starters, I'm not really sure what it's even about.  I think, from reading other reviews, it's a pretty standard fantasy where an underdog finds out they're some long lost princess and ends up in a love triangle.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  That's an old, tried and true formula for a book.  Not that I dislike the premise, but seeing it again in a very unoriginal form was frustrating.

The writing was the biggest reason I gave up on this one.  It wasn't bad, but it was abrupt.  The chapters were short, barely a page long in some cases, and ended before anything actually happened.  Rather, they would set up a scene, fade to black, and then the next chapter would start after the scene and interesting things had happened.  It was frustrating me so much I didn't even bother thinking about it: I put the book down and didn't regret it one bit.

I really doubt I'll try to read this book or series again.  It got on my bad side so fast (which is really rare, I try not to DNF a book until I'm at least a quarter of the way through) and sits badly in my stomach.  Hopefully someone else will get the chance to like it.  If you're hoping this is for you, here's the link to goodreads to add it to your shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)