Sunday, July 26, 2015

Sunday TV

Welcome to my first edition of Sunday TV!  If you've been following my blog you've probably noticed something I do every other week called Sunday Comics.  I read a lot of comics so I choose one day to review them all rather than doing an individual post for each.  I watch a lot of TV as well, so I've decided to do a similar thing with individual episodes.  The shows I watch and review will be a mix of older stuff and newer stuff.  This week I have ten episodes to share with you.  There won't be spoilers for anything that's airing a current season, but anything that has since ended, there will be at least some minor spoilers.


Episode Three of Samurai Champloo
Watch: Netflix
Rating: 4 Stars
I really like this show.  It's super serious, and not what I expected at all from the description.  It's definitely darker, and meant for a mature audience, but super worth it if you're looking for a good anime about samurai in ancient times.

Episode 1X04 of Six Million Dollar Man
Title: Day of the Robot
Watch: Netflix DVD
Rating: 4 Stars
Yes, it's a corny show with even cornier special effects, but I have a soft spot for Steve Austin.  This episode in particular brought out the feels, especially near the end when Steve is remembering his friend, who's gone missing and presumed dead.  I was just one sad song away from crying my eyes out.

Episodes 1X19-1X22 of Gotham
Titles: Beasts of Prey; Under the Knife; The Anvil or the Hammer; All Happy Families are Alike
Watch: Recorded
Rating: 2.5 Stars
This is a ridiculous show.  If I wasn't a fan of the comics I wouldn't even be considering watching season two.  The plotlessness got ridiculous, especially Barbara who's had some break down which was foreshadowed absolutely nowhere.  The only thing that really saves the whole show for me is the relationship between Selena and Bruce, which had me all giggly and happy.  Also, the Riddler, who may be my very favorite Batman villain.  Sorry, Joker.  The finale did leave me a little breathless since so much happened in so little time, but I think they copped out with the way Fish exited the picture.  She may not be back next season, but I doubt she's gone forever.  It's a comic book show, after all.

Episode 3X01 of Graceland
Title: B-Positive
Watch: USA, USA App
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Wow, this got really dark.  If you're not watching one of the best shows of summer, you should be.  The first season was completely different from the second, and this season also seems to be taking a different path.  Though it is borrowing from the best parts of the first two seasons to create what could be my favorite season yet.  I can't wait to see where the characters go this time around.

Episode 4X18 of Grimm
Title: Mishipeshu
Watch: Recorded
Rating: 2 Stars
My momma said that if I can't say anything nice, I shouldn't say anything at all.  This episode gets two stars just Nick, who's as adorable as ever.

Episode 1X01 of Humans
Watch: On Demand
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Hello new British import that I'm currently falling in love with.  For a first episode it was a bit too confusing, with so many storylines happening at once.  But I'll definitely be sticking with it, and not just for Colin Morgan.  I like the character well enough, but it's the way the world feels so real that has really drawn me in.  Were robots like this to ever actually happen, this is exactly how it would be like.  I've also found this to be a good show to watch with my Dad, who will watch pretty much anything British... or reality TV.

Episode 1X02 of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
Title: Chapter 2- How is Lady Pole?
Watch: Recorded
Rating: 4.5 Stars
I've never read the book, but I plan to when I finish the show.  This was a much better episode than the first one and I'm utterly entranced by the whole story.  Very little I can say without gushing.  You should certainly watch this mini-series, and like me, you don't have to be familiar with the source material.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)