Thursday, January 14, 2016

Graphic Novel Review: Skywalker Strikes (Star Wars, Vol. 1)

Writer: Jason Aaron
Artists: John Cassaday and Laura Martin
Edition: Paperback
Rating: 4 Stars

I picked this up pretty much the day after seeing The Force Awakens because I was in such a mood for Star Wars things.  And this did not disappoint.  If you even sorta considered picking it up, just do it!

Skywalker Strikes takes place between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, following Luke, Leia, and Han on a mission for the Rebellion.  Things don't turn out quite the way everyone would have liked, which leads Luke to reevaluate his status as a Jedi, and Han to confront what he's actually doing helping the Rebels.

Immediately it was like I could hear the voices coming off the page.  The art is fantastic at making the characters appear as they did in the movies, and the writing is so lively and exact that it's not hard to imagine everyone saying what they say.  It was a pleasure to fall back into this story without a hesitation, and it fleshes out the characters in such a nice way that even hard core movie fans can appreciate it.

Nothing was particularly surprising about the story, since the major spoiler at the end was spoiled for me months ago, when it originally happened.  In fact, you've probably heard of the spoiler, too, but I won't mention it here.  It actually helped me appreciate the character and heightened the tension knowing the truth.

Besides our heroes, Vader and Boba Fett play important roles in this volume.  I loved how ruthless Vader was portrayed, and it makes me eager to pick up his own series soon.  He's a bad guy, and while I've always kinda appreciated him, I didn't actually love to hate him until reading this.

So, yes, this is a must read if you're a fan of Star Wars.  And, with volume two coming out in a few weeks, you won't have to wait long to see where the story goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)