Thursday, June 25, 2015

A+ TV Review: Star Wars Rebels (Season 1 & Season 2 Premier)

If you aren't watching this show, you're making a mistake.  It's really, really good.  You don't even have to be a fan of Star Wars to like this show.  It's perfect for people who crave a great animation that's not afraid to tackle serious events.  In that vein, it actually reminds me a lot of Avatar: The Last Airbender.  It's a family friendly, carries on the Star Wars legacy, and will also appeal to adults and an older audience.


The only thing I can really complain about is the art.  It's not my favorite style of animation, mostly because the hair just doesn't move right.  Or at all, really.  It does grow on you after a few episodes, but it's not ideal.

The poor art didn't take away from my rating, though, because the story is absolutely fantastic.  It works itself at a steady, and rather quick, pace without getting too exhausting.  There's a little bit of formulaic storytelling since it is a TV show, but it's also not afraid to break the pattern for a better story.  The episodes are short, but it still manages to fill every moment with a smart plot that will keep you occupied and wondering how that wasn't a longer episode with everything that went on in it.

As for the characters- they're top notch.  I know who my favorite is- all of them!  Seriously.  I love all the characters for different reasons.  They balance each other out and there's a pretty equal balance between male and female characters doing bad ass stuff.  Rebels also manages to carry on the Star Wars legacy by allowing for the cameos of famous characters.  For the mega fans, you'll be happy to hear that everyone is done proper justice. 

A major concern I have with cartoons is whether the villain will actually be, you know, villainous.  Have no worries- Rebels manages to put some terror in your hearts.  The big bads of this series are the Inquisitor's, and they're a nightmare.  Wouldn't want to face off against one of these.  Even the underling bad guys are competent and ruthless, leaving watchers satisfied.

The second season debuted last weekend, and it was great.  It was a slow start, but I'm fairly certain there was a passage of time, so it's to be expected.  When the ball started rolling I was more than happy to lose myself, and my feels, to the show.  I can't wait to see where this season leads, and look forward to the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)