Monday, June 15, 2015

Five Star Book Review: The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender

Author| Leslye Walton
Edition| Library Book
Genre| YA- Historical/Whimsical Fantasy
Publisher| Candlewick Press
Rating| 5 Stars
This is one of those books that, after finishing, will hang around for a few days.  It resonates long after the last page has been turned, the last word read.  I'm rather upset with myself that I checked this book out of the library instead of buying it because now I have to give it back.

One of the best parts of this book is that it reads like a family history.  It starts with Ava's grandmother's story, then the story of her mother, and then, finally, her story.  It's really indescribable.  Nor would I want to describe it, because it's one of those books that it's best going into not expecting anything.  You come out so much better off.

As with all five star books, I find it hard to write a review.  I have no gripes with it, and loved every part.  It's rather heartbreaking, though.  It becomes brutal in the final chapters, during the climax, so take care when picking this book up.  Because of everything that happens, I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who's uncomfortable with sex.  There's nothing super graphic, but there are several scenes where it is more than implied.  One of these scenes is a rape scene.

While it is heart wrenching, it is also uplifting.  The book is all about love.  Falling in love, falling out of love, losing those you love, discovering those you love.  All types of love, too.  Romantic, parent to child, mother to daughter, friend to friend, neighbor to neighbor, brother to sister.  Because of all of this, it ends on a hopeful note.  It lifts you up in the end with a very beautiful image of what the future holds.

So, I recommend this to absolutely everyone.  It's amazing- and don't make the same mistake as me and check it out of the library.  Buy it so you can have it forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)