Monday, June 15, 2015

Sunday Comics

Sunday Comics is something I do every other week.  Rather than review each comic individually, I wrap them all up in one place.  Lately I've been reading quite a few, but you can expect that number to start going down soon.

Blackest Night (Issue #0) written by Geoff Johns with art by Ivan Reis, Oclair Albert and Rob Hunter
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Definitely a little confusing at first, but with classic characters and a pretty good catch up on what's going on.  It sets up a very interesting concept, and many pages at the end are dedicated to the different orders of Lanterns etc.
Batgirl Preview (2011- ) written by Brenden Fletcher and Cameron Stewart with art by Babs Tarr
Rating: 5 Stars
So much fun!  I really want to dive into the series for real now.  The characters come right off the page and our heroine is spunky in all the best ways.  Plus, she's good at what she does.  Top of my list now.

Black Canary Preview (2015- ) written by Brenden Fletcher with art by Annie Wu
Rating: 1.5 Stars
Ugh, no.  I enjoy the character of Black Canary quite a bit and was excited to see that she had a new series starting.  For one, the art is hideous (in my opinion) and the story is stupid as can be.  She's in a band now, fighting off members of other bands.  Like, it makes no sense to me, and I dislike the direction her character is taking.  Sad, because I was looking forward to this one, too.
Supergirl (Issue #1) (2011-2015) written by Michael Green and Michael F. Johnson with art by Mahmud A. Asrar, Dan Green, and Dave McCaig
Rating: 5 Stars
I loved it!  The only thing I wish is that it were longer.  I'll be picking more of these up in the near future because it was such a wonderful change.  Both the art and the story were fresh and it gets me even more excited for the upcoming TV show.

Silk (Issue #2) (2015-) written by Robbie Thompson with art by Stacey Lee
Rating: 4 Stars
I enjoyed this again, though it wasn't as interesting as the first issue.  It did a good job at starting to dive into her old life and how her new life was vastly different.  It also expanded her powers and how they worked exactly.  The villain was silly, but that's okay.  It's only issue two, and I'm still very much looking forward to reading these for some time.
Grayson Preview (2014- ) written by Tom King and Tim Seeley with art by Mikel Janin and Jeromy Cox
Rating: 5 Stars
I have no idea what's going on in this series or how it gets there, but I enjoyed every second of what I read.  It was great in every aspect, and now I look forward to reading it some day.

Midnighter Preview (2015- ) written by Steve Orlando with art by ACO
Rating: 2.5 Stars
And on the flip-side of Grayson, is Midnighter.  I'm not a fan, at least not yet.  I may give this another chance someday, perhaps when I'm more familiar with the character, but until then, it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Harley Quin Preview (2013- ) written by Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti with art by Chad Hardin
Rating: 2.5 Stars
My cousin is a huge Harley Quinn fan, so I was eager to give this a try.  It wasn't really my stride, though it does have potential.  I think it was just a bad place to start.  I did like the writing and the cast of characters very much.  Just, perhaps, not enough to carry the story itself, which seems nonexistent.  Perhaps someday I shall continue the series.

Robin: Son of Batman Preview (2015- ) written by Patrick Gleason with art by Patrick Gleason and Mick Gray
Rating: 2.5 Stars
I'm not a huge fan of Damien in general, and this did little to help me like him.  Although, it didn't do anything to make me dislike him, either.  It was confusing from the get-go, story and art.  It didn't end on a good note, either.  Rather than getting me intrigued in the future of the series, it left me wondering what was even going on.
Wolverine (Issue #42) (Civil War) (2003-2009) written by Marc Guggenheim with art by Humberto Ramos
Rating: 4 Stars
I liked this more than I thought I would.  The character of Wolverine is normally a miss for me (I enjoy Jackman's portrayal of him for the most part, but as a supporting character in other comics I always consider him a jackass).  I am in love with the Civil War story line, though, so knowing this would tie in helped.  Wolverine's role in the whole arc is going to be great.  He's the only character actively looking for revenge for what happened, and I couldn't have asked for a better character to do it.  I eagerly await what comes next.  On a side note, I really dislike the art, it's too cartoon-y, especially for this character.

Starfire Preview (2015- ) written by Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti with art by Emanuela Lupacchino
Rating: 5 Stars
Sign me up, I'm hooked!  The preview's a good taste of what's to come, and the art is absolutely gorgeous.  I like where the story's headed, and the interaction with other characters was a lot of fun to watch.
Teen Titans (Issue #3) (2003-2011) written by Geoff Johns with art by Mike McKone, Marlo Alquiza, and Jeromy Cox
Rating: 4.5 Stars
This one was less personal than the previous two, and the story itself was left a little weak because of it.  However, propelling into the major story line and a confrontation with Deathstroke helped.  The ending was a bit strange, but I'm willing to see where it goes.  Overall, a very good issue, though, seeing as it manages to balance several different story lines and characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)