Monday, June 8, 2015

Graphic Novel Review: Daredevil Ultimate Collection (Vol. 1)

Authors| Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev
Edition| Kindle eBook
Publisher| Marvel
Genre| Superhero Comic
Rating| 4 Stars

Yes, I am still a little hungover from the Daredevil TV series, thanks for asking.  It has abated some, but every once in a while I just have to re-watch parts of it and dream of the next season, which is still much to far away.  This is the first Daredevil graphic novel I've read in a while, so it was a treat.

My biggest issue was the first story arc.  It was four or five issues (read: chapters) and seemed really out of place.  It wouldn't have been as bad if it was advertised a little clearer that it was there.  It takes place from Ben's point of view, and the art is very confusing.  In fact, I really hated the art.  Each issue got very little done expect Ben's inner monologue, and that grew very tiring, to say the least.  Were I just reviewing this short arc, I would give it merely one star.  Luckily, I'm not.

The rest of the story was pretty good, and I think it may even be a direction the show starts to head next season, or in a few seasons.  I'd love to give a summary, but it would be rather spoilery, so I'll refrain.  I'm sure there's a description floating somewhere around the internet.

My favorite part of the whole collection was how naturally the story built on itself.  One problem occurred, and while working on resolving that story, another, related one, would pop up.  They slowly culminated until I can determine there are at least three very distinct and interesting things happening at once.  I do wish there had been some closure, but I'm sure there is in the next two volumes, which I'm eager to get to.

There were also several fun cameo's that I couldn't get enough of.  Both Spider-Man and Black Widow make appearances that I wasn't really expecting, and it was really interesting to see that interaction within the superhero community.

If you're just coming off of watching the Netflix show, then I recommend this collection for sure.  You won't be too lost, though there is a gap, and you'll have a lot of fun trying to predict when, and if, the show will get to this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)