Thursday, June 18, 2015

5 Star Graphic Novel Review: Goddess of Thunder (Thor, Vol. 1)

Author| Jason Aaron
Artists| Russell Dauterman and Jorge Molina
Edition| Hardcover
Publisher| Marvel
Genre| Superhero Comic
Rating| 5 Stars

Can we just take a moment to appreciate where Marvel is headed?  This is just one in many of the new female driven series.  Clearly they've gotten the message that we need more bad-ass women.  Thor is obviously the most drastic change to the Marvel universe.  The character of Thor has been around for quite a long time, and replacing Odinson with a woman is a BIG change.  I know there were many people upset by the change.  And it is understandable; you're used to one character holding the title and suddenly he's not worthy?  It would have bothered me, too, if I had grown up with the character.  But now people are able to grow up with this version of Thor- and she's awesome.

To avoid confusion, I'll be referring to Thor #1 (the one you see in the movies) as Odinson (since that is what he's referred to in the comics now) and Thor #2 as Thor.  Also, I'm not caught up on the comics- I've been reading the bind ups- so I don't know who they revealed Thor to be.  Please don't spoil it in the comments!

I wasn't sure what to expect going into this.  I've read a Thor comic here and there, but have never really invested in the character.  I like the Thor movies, but know very little beyond that.  The most surprising thing about the Thor comics is the tone.  Rather than read as a sci-fi, like the movies make it out to be, it's magical.  It's heavily based in mythology and the characters play up to it.  It's more fantasy than science fiction, and that was an instant draw.

And I do like the new Thor.  She's pretty awesome.  But she's also insecure, and nervous about her role in the universe now.  Her voice quickly made her likable.  And she proves (in my opinion) herself of Mjolnir.  She does have a different connection to the hammer than Odinson had, and I can't help but wonder why, and if it has anything to do with who she is.

I can talk this book up forever, so let me cut myself short.  One last note: the art is absolutely gorgeous.  I stared at the pictures for hours, just flipping pages to enjoy how it looked.  Another reason to pick this one up- aesthetic appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)