Monday, October 12, 2015

New To You Book Club October: East of West Review

Author| Jonathan Hickman  Artist| Nick Dragotta  Rating| 4.75 Stars
Edition| Paperback  

East of West is the bookclub pick of the month for my New To You Graphic Novel Book Club.  If you're interested in joining, you have all month to read it and I'm super excited to talk to you guys about it.  You can find info in the tab at the top of the page.


East of West is an apocalyptic western that follows the Horseman Death as he goes on a journey for vengeance.  It's never made quite clear what happened to him, but you get the idea, and while you're never quite sure why the Chosen act the way they do, you start to figure it out by the end.  I actually went back and reread some sections, and that helped a lot in understanding the whole plot.

I really liked this book.  It was almost 5 stars, actually.  But for some reason I couldn't bring myself to do that.  I hate giving anything smaller than a half star because I think it starts to get messy then, but this was worth more than 4.5 so I really had no choice.  I think my biggest issue probably does lie in the confusing nature of the narrative.  Hopefully, volume two will clear up some of these things.

The art was gorgeous!  I wasn't a fan from the first page, but once I started really reading it I couldn't help but love it.  It's different from other things I've read, but different in a good way, and very good with the story.  Needless to say, if I see Dragotta's name somewhere else, I'll probably pick it up.

The characters were very interesting.  It took me an issue or so before I really started to enjoy them, but when I did get into them, I really loved them.  I think Death probably is my favorite, even though he's a bit cold at the beginning.  Wolf and Crow were cool as well and I want to spend more time getting to know them.

World building was awesome.  I loved the different aspects of the world and I loved how they each had a distinct personality.  My only complaint here- I want a map!  I love maps and I think it would enhance the storytelling if there was one for this series.

Haven't started the book yet?  I recommend that you do!  Add it to your goodreads shelves here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)