Saturday, October 10, 2015

Weekly Wrap Up and Book Haul

So, last week in my wrap up I talked about how tough some aspects of blogging were getting (with my college load), particularly Top Ten Tuesdays and Waiting on Wednesdays.  And this week you may have noticed I didn't post as much as I normally do.  But I felt a bit empty not blogging each night and it's not as if I want to stop blogging- it's easily my favorite past time.  So, I think I've found a cure for this problem- I'll still be posting as many reviews as normal (since these are why I started blogging in the first place and what I love to write the most), but memes will be declining.  Every once in a while, when I have the time or have a book I really want to promote, I'll do them.  Friday 56's will probably be the most popular, honestly.  On days when I don't post anything, I'll still be hanging out around the blogosphere, whether on twitter or just browsing other book blogs.  I feel I don't do this enough as it is (I have many I love and so I follow them and hang out on them often) and it's a great way for me to stay connected without having to take a half-hour to hour preparing a post.


I've also got a few other plans for the blog, little things that you won't be noticing for another month or so, but I'm excited to start implementing them.  As it is, I'm very happy with how my blog looks, but I'm also always on the lookout for ways to improve it.  

In other news, I did a bit of a guest-blogging over on All Things Urban Fantasy, one of my favorite books blogs.  Every week they highlight new cover releases and comment on them.  I helped contribute my thoughts to one of their posts.  Click here to be taken to said post.  It was a lot of fun!

Finished this Week
I finished one thing, and that was East of West, our bookclub pick of the month.  I really, really enjoyed it, and the review will becoming out on Monday!  I recommend this one; it's pretty short and starts off confusing, but by the end it makes sense, more or less.  I'm almost done with Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and would probably actually be done, but I got sick Wednesday-Thursday-Friday and my cold prevented me from really enjoying squinting at little words on a dense page.  You get it, I'm sure.  I will be finishing it this week, probably by Tuesday.

Currently Reading
Well, obviously Strange and Norrell, but as soon as I finish I'll be starting Rarity from the Hollow, which should be a quick read.  I'm excited to dive into this one.  The Graphic Novel I'm in the middle of is Batman: The Long Halloween and so far I'm very much enjoying it.

Currently Watching
Walking Dead, still.  Haven't gotten through any more of it, again thanks to my cold.  I've also started rewatching Noragami season one in preparation for starting season two.  I love this show so much!  Finding out about the new season made me cry in joy, and I'm not even kidding.

Last Week
Sunday-- Sunday TV

This Week
Sunday-- Sunday Comics
Monday-- East of West Review, College Journey #4
Thursday-- Discussion, Heir of Fire Review
Friday-- Friday 56, Saga Vol. 1 Review
Saturday-- Wrap Up and Haul

Haul
Okay, so this is a bigger haul than I would have liked during a normal week, but this week was special.  I turned 19 on Thursday, and so I got some books as presents and I also let myself buy a few extra just because.  So, here they are:
  • Star Wars Trilogy Omnibus Mass Market Paperback | I got this when I went to Target for some food earlier this week.  It was ridiculously cheap and I wanted a copy I didn't mind beating up.  I've seen the movies, so it's not really going to surprise me in any way, but I'm hoping it'll be quite nice when I'm in a slump or not enjoying whatever I'm currently reading at the time.
  • Endgame: The Calling by James Frey, Kindle eBook | I know some people really hate Frey, but as much as I think he's bad news, I don't mind separating the artist from the art.  I was curious about this one when it first came out, and for a short time it was only $2 on the Kindle store so I couldn't pass it up.
  • Captain Marvel Vol. 1: In Pursuit of Flight Kindle eBook | I really want to read some Captain Marvel before the movie casts its actress so that I can judge her with my own opinion ( that sounds really rude and I don't mean to be) and thought this would be a good place to start.
  • Black Widow Vol. 1: The Finely Woven Thread paperback | I read the first issue earlier this year and fell in love with both the story telling and the art.  I noticed they were out of stock on both Amazon and Book Depository and started panicking that I'd never find a copy, so bought it on Barnes and Noble immediately.
  • The Invasion of the Tearling by Erika Johansen, Kindle eBook | This, and the first in the series, are only $1.99 on the American Kindle store, so GO BUY THEM!  I've heard it's a really great series from multiple sources I really trust.
  • The Night Angel Trilogy: Way of Shadows, Shadow's Edge, and Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks, Mass Market Paperback | These were a birthday gift from my parents, and I'm so very excited.  My roommate strongly recommends them and I've been meaning to get to them for some time now, too, so hopefully I'll read them in the next month or so.
  • Star Wars Trilogy Omnibus Leather-bound Barnes and Noble edition | I had a feeling I would get this for my birthday as well, though I don't feel guilty for buying my own cheap copy.  This one can sit beautifully on my shelf, and when I read it at home I'll have this absolutely gorgeous copy.  Even as I write this I keep glancing up at it at just basking in its glory.  I recommend getting such a copy for yourself if you're a fan.
In non-book news, I also got a Star Wars t-shirt, Arrow season three, and a beautiful journal from my dad's trip to Italy a month ago.  From Italy he also brought me some souvenirs (though they weren't birthday gifts, per say): three sets of Hard Rock Cafe (who knew there were three in Italy?  I didn't.  Italians probably did...) pins because I want to collect them, a sweater from venice that I adore, and a t-shirt from Rome.  Also some new earbuds to try because the ones I have cut into the insides of my ears and have caused scars to form now.  I hope these work- I haven't had the chance to give them a try.  I've struggled with earbuds for a while now, actually.

So, that was my week, more or less.  I hope you guys had great weeks as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)