Friday, October 9, 2015

Book Review: Rook

Author| Sharon Cameron  Edition| Hardcover  Rating| 4.5 Stars

This is going to be a relatively short review, because I think this is a book better enjoyed when you don't know what you're getting into.


So, rather, than summarize like I normally do, I'm going to do a few pros and cons of the novel.

Cons
Slow, slow, slow.  And I mean slow.  It's more a political thriller, I suppose, and that leads to it being slow, but that doesn't excuse it.  Because, this is so slow.  And the back is misleading (so don't read the back, or the inside flap, or whatever because it's wrong).  But that's all that really bothered me about the book.

Pros
The characters.  They're amazing, four-dimensional creatures that glide off the page.  Amazing.  I love them so much.  I do wish more time had been spent with them, just because they are so awesome.  Though, then the book would have been much slower, so I'm not that upset that more time wasn't spent with them.

The plot.  It was twisty and very cat and mouse.  And I really liked it, especially since I didn't have super high expectations.

The world.  very well built and I loved the constant cameo's from things we're familiar with in our world.  A refreshing take on the dystopian genre, if you ask me.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I've had this sitting on my shelf for a while and haven't gotten to it yet. I've seen a lot of negative reviews for it, so my hopes haven't been too high going in. But I will try to stay completely unbiased. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely split some opinions. It's slow and flowery, but I really did enjoy it.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)