Thursday, October 15, 2015

5 Star Reread Review: Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)

Author| Sarah J Maas (Twitter/Facebook)  Edition| Hardcover  Rating| 5 Stars

For the record, I don't generally reread books that I didn't originally give five stars.
Throne of Glass is one of my absolute favorite series' and so every time another book in the series is going to be released I read the previous ones again.  I read this in preparation for Queen of Shadows, and this is the second time I've read this book.  I do plan to read it again next year.

Every time I reread a good book it takes on a different meaning and gets better.  This series is full of good books, because I never walk away from a reread thinking the book got worse.  I'm not going to spoil anything, since this is a pretty epic book, and any little thing could destroy the first two books for you.

With this reread I really learned to appreciate Rowen more, and actually learned to appreciate Manon less.  Why don't I like her as much anymore?  Well, this comes from a writer perspective.  I feel like it's a poor decision to insert such an important character into the third book.  I think I'd rather read a spin-off about Manon, to be honest.  While I still love her story (and it really reminds me or Eragon, one of my favorite books) it does feel out of place.

And why do I love Rowen more?  Because I think, the first time I read it, I expected him to be another love interest.  And while I totally agree he could be (and have seen many people shipping the two) I know, from the way the story ends, that it's probably not going to end up that way.  So I was more comfortable reading about him and thinking, "Rowen's awesome!"

I also realized how many heart-wrenching scenes are in this book.  Not that each of the books doesn't have heart-wrenching scenes, but this has the most.  Celaena is torn apart so many times I have no idea how she even managed to put herself back together.  It makes me love her even more.

Finally, the ending.  I love-hate the ending.  I hate it because my poor darling Dorian (my brother heard me hyperventilating over him and asked what was wrong and I started screaming about the King of Adarlan and he just walked away real sad for me).  I love it because it elicits such a strong reaction from me in the first place.  If a book can make me feel the feels then it deserves all the love in the world.  (That's one of the reasons I enjoy sad stories so much).  I've replayed the ending many times in my head but never reread it before.  And it's more heart destroying than I remembered.  I broke into even more parts than I had before.

So, yes, I loved the book as much as I did the first time, though in many different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)