Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday: A Criminal Magic



Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine.  Click here to join in on the fun.

This week I'm waiting on A Criminal Magic by Lee Kelly


Here's the summary taken from goodreads:
THE NIGHT CIRCUS meets THE PEAKY BLINDERS in Lee Kelly's new magical realism, crossover novel.
Magic is powerful, dangerous and addictive - and after passage of the 18th Amendment, it is finally illegal.
It's 1926 in Washington, DC, and while Anti-Sorcery activists have achieved the Prohibition of sorcery, the city's magic underworld is booming. Sorcerers cast illusions to aid mobsters' crime sprees. Smugglers funnel magic contraband in from overseas. Gangs have established secret performance venues where patrons can lose themselves in magic, and take a mind-bending, intoxicating elixir known as the sorcerer's shine.
Joan Kendrick, a young sorcerer from Norfolk County, Virginia accepts an offer to work for DC's most notorious crime syndicate, the Shaw Gang, when her family's home is repossessed. Alex Danfrey, a first-year Federal Prohibition Unit trainee with a complicated past and talents of his own, becomes tapped to go undercover and infiltrate the Shaws.
Through different paths, Joan and Alex tread deep into the violent, dangerous world of criminal magic - and when their paths cross at the Shaws' performance venue, despite their orders, and despite themselves, Joan and Alex become enchanted with one another. But when gang alliances begin to shift, the two sorcerers are forced to question their ultimate allegiances and motivations. And soon, Joan and Alex find themselves pitted against each other in a treacherous, heady game of cat-and-mouse.
A CRIMINAL MAGIC casts a spell of magic, high stakes and intrigue against the backdrop of a very different Roaring Twenties.

Why I'm Waiting
Well, pretty much the description sold me.  I'm planning to preorder this one when the funds roll around.  It sounds very good.

6 comments:

  1. What a unique concept. I really enjoyed The Night Circus. I'll have to check out some reviews. I hope you enjoy it!!

    My WoW: http://www.jacquesbooknook.blogspot.com/2015/10/waiting-on-wednesday-ten-thousand-skies.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Night Circus yet even though it's been sitting on my shelf for a while now... Well, hopefully I'll end up enjoying both. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. That sounds amazing! I loved City of Savages, so I'll definitely have to pick this up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what's funny is I've seen this one now twice today. And I hadn't heard much about it before. So now you have me seriously watching it.

    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only just heard of it as well, but it sounds very good. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)