Sunday, August 16, 2015

Sunday Comics

Sunday Comics is something I do every other week to spotlight all the comics I've read recently.  I love talking about comics and, rather than write an individual review for each individual comic I read as I read it, I compile all the reviews here.  If you ever want to know more about a comic series please ask because I'd love to share what I know!


X-Men (2013- ) Issue #3
written by Brian Wood
art by Olivier Coipel
rating: 4 Stars
This series is pretty good, though it can be somewhat confusing and dense.  I love the characters and I liked the wrap up to the story line of the first three issues.  I'm looking forward to reading more of this series.

Gambit (Vol. 5) Volume #1
written by James Asmus
art by Clay Mann and Seth Mann
rating: 3 Stars
I really want to like this series.  I wasn't blown away by this installment, especially the side characters who seem very very bland so far.  After that twist ending I do have some hope for the future of it, though, and will read a few more issues before I decide whether I should give it up or not.

Avengers vs. X-Men Issue #0
written by Jason Aaron and Brian Michael Bendis
art by Frank Cho
rating: 4.5 Stars
Since this is being written by two very good authors I'm not surprised I gave it such a high rating.  This serves as little more than a prequel to the story, which I'm eager to get into now that I've met our protagonists.  This is the follow up story to Children's Crusade and focuses on what happens next to Scarlet Witch.  Very, very curious.

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi- Force Storm Issue #2
written by John Stander and Jan Duursema
art by Jan Duursema, Dan Parsons, and Wes Dzioba
rating: 3.5 Stars
This was much better than the first issue and did a munch better job of introducing characters.  They all come from different backgrounds and each of them intrigues me.  Super curious to see where this series leads.  Though, so far, it's been very slow moving, which I dislike.

Winter Soldier Issue #1
written by Ed Brubaker
art by Butch Guice
rating: 4.5 Stars
I picked this up because I've heard good- no GREAT- things on Tumblr.  I wasn't wowed, but it was a very good read.  Bucky and Natasha teaming up- A+ story.

Young Avengers (2005-2006) Issues #9-11
written by Allan Heinberg
art by Jim Cheung and Dave Meikis
rating: 5 Stars
Is anyone surprised to see this on here?  You shouldn't be!  The story stays at its peak and continues the discovering of where the characters came from.  This story line is focusing on Hulking- and it's sorta breaking my heart.  Also, they introduced Tommy (finally!) and with only a few lines he made such an impact on me (if I didn't already adore him, I would now). 
Also, here's a really powerful image from the comics:

Civil War: Front Line Issue #1
written by Paul Jenkins
art by Ramon F Bachs, Kei Kobayashi, and Steve Lieber
rating: 3.5 Stars
So continues my journey into Civil War.  This particular comic line deals with three stories.  1) the reporters on the actual front line, which I found to be very interesting, and think will probably get even more interesting as the series continues; 2) Speedball, the last remaining member of the New Warriors, who caused this whole thing- this is the most interesting and exciting part of the comic for me, because I'm really curious to see how this all falls upon him; 3) comparing an actual war story to a superhero- I did not like this at all.

New Avengers (2004-2010) Issue #2
written by Brian Michael Bendis
art by David Finch
rating: 2.5 Stars
Two strikes!  One more strike, and you're out!  And that may be the case.  So far neither the story nor the characters have me interested.  I'll give this one more issue before I decide whether to continue it or not.  Though I'm in no hurry to read one more issue.

2 comments:

  1. I know the ending of Civil War, so i am bot actually looking forward to the movie and looking forward to it at the same time. Didnt realise the comics around it also icluded reporters'POVs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have somehow refrained from spoiling myself (I don't know how with the amount of time I spend on the internet). Yeah, I didn't realize how extensive the whole story is when I started, actually.

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)